VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2005, 10:32 PM

Question Command shortcut for "Find"

I very often find myself needing to locate a piece of text somewhere inside my SecureCRT session. The "Find" command under the Edit menu works great for this, but would it be possible to get a CTRL-F shortcut for this feature?

(CTRL-F is commonly used for the Find feature in other programs, and it is not used for anything else in SecureCRT.)
Old 03-28-2005, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stian
I very often find myself needing to locate a piece of text somewhere inside my SecureCRT session. The "Find" command under the Edit menu works great for this, but would it be possible to get a CTRL-F shortcut for this feature?
You can easily do that using keyboard mappings. Simply map Ctrl-F to MENU_FIND (Options -> Session Options -> Terminal -> Emulation -> Mapped Keys).

Quote:
(CTRL-F is commonly used for the Find feature in other programs, and it is not used for anything else in SecureCRT.)
SecureCRT itself does not use it but the application running on the host might. For instance, many Unix applications uses it to move forward. Therefore, SecureCRT should never by default map Ctrl-keys to anything.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfallesen
You can easily do that using keyboard mappings. Simply map Ctrl-F to MENU_FIND (Options -> Session Options -> Terminal -> Emulation -> Mapped Keys).

SecureCRT itself does not use it but the application running on the host might. For instance, many Unix applications uses it to move forward. Therefore, SecureCRT should never by default map Ctrl-keys to anything.
Well, keyboard mappings are tied to a specific session. I've used that workaround before, but I really don't feel like repeating the process hundreds of times (once for each session). I can set it as a default setting, but not as a global setting. Since default settings only apply to new sessions, that leaves me no easy way to do this for my existing ones. Can you suggest a workaround?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:55 AM

stian,

You can define a keyboard mapping for ALL current and future sessions by editing the Default Options. Go to Global Options->General->Default Session and click the Edit Default Sessions button. There, create your Control-F maps to Menu Find keyboard mapping and OK your way out. Pay attention to the warning that indicates you will be changing settings for all sessions - that's what you want.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC
stian,

You can define a keyboard mapping for ALL current and future sessions by editing the Default Options. Go to Global Options->General->Default Session and click the Edit Default Sessions button. There, create your Control-F maps to Menu Find keyboard mapping and OK your way out. Pay attention to the warning that indicates you will be changing settings for all sessions - that's what you want.
Thanks;

I attempted this, and it does change my default for a) Quick Connect sessions b) Any new sessions I create from this point.

However, I did not receive a warning that I would change the setting for all existing sessions, and it did not in fact do so. (I am running SCRT 4.1.10 at work right now; has this behavior changed in 5.x ? )

-Stian
Old 03-28-2005, 10:38 AM
Weekend Programmer and CEO

Quote:
Thanks;

I attempted this, and it does change my default for a) Quick Connect sessions b) Any new sessions I create from this point.

However, I did not receive a warning that I would change the setting for all existing sessions, and it did not in fact do so. (I am running SCRT 4.1.10 at work right now; has this behavior changed in 5.x ? )

-Stian
Yes, the offer to change existing sessions is a 5.0 feature.

--Jeff
Old 03-28-2005, 10:41 AM

Oops, my bad. I've been using 5.0 for so long now, I'd forgotten that feature was not available in 4.x ! Sorry. But you have it now!