VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Secure Shell
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2007, 04:26 PM

Angry Functions keys/Direction buttons --Key mapping

VShell installed on windows server does not correctly recognize any of the functions keys or direction buttons. Instead of accepting them as special keys, it prints them to the shell screen.
I only found one post from two years ago where VShell tech suggested getting an ssh client where you can remap keys to match what VShell is expecting.

There is nothing on this planet that will make me believe that nobody is using Putty to connect to VShell on Windows. Even though I have SecureCRT where I work, I may not have it in all the places where from which I need to connect to the server and Putty is the best option for Windows. Moreover, ssh client built into linux will not work either because according to Vshell it is also not sending the right keys. It just feels weird to pay for an ssh client that has key mapping in an open source environment...

And all this time no one noticed? Or the VShell developper just don't care? What is going on

P.S. I have used F-Secure server as well as a couple of other free SSH Servers and NONE of them have the same issue.

P.P.S Also, with F-Secure I was able to use my mouse very easily without any additional setups, now I am not able to use it at all and I found no setting in VShell to set that up.

Last edited by daq; 02-12-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:33 AM

Hi Daq,

I'm sorry to hear that there are issues with the arrow keys when connecting to VShell.

VShell does have a completely custom key mapping. At the time that the mapping was created, there wasn't an existing mapping that could handle things like the Alt keys (including Ctrl+Alt, Ctrl+Shift+Alt, etc).

However, we are considering the possibility of adding support for basic VT220
escape sequences for arrow keys and function keys.

I have added a request for this to our features database.

If this is added to any future version of VShell, a post will be made here.

If you would prefer to be contacted via email, please send me a message and reference this forum thread (2150).

Teresa

Teresa Nygren