Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 08-04-2016, 10:55 AM

SecureCRT loading managed user keys

Version 8.02 Win7Pro

When I restart SecureCRT, I have to manually reload the Managed user agents for them to be used. I am adding more and more unique keys for specific connections and this is becoming a pain.

Ive see references to an Activator which apparently can do this, but I don't know what or where that is located. Searched the FAQ's and forums for that.

Is there some way to automatically load the Managed User Agent keys when the application starts.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:09 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi krelvinaz,

Quote:
When I restart SecureCRT, I have to manually reload the Managed user agents for them to be used.
Yes, agent uses protected memory. Jake contributed a post on this topic here. Info on Activator can be found in the SecureCRT Help topic Using the Software / Working with the Window / Using the Activator.

Quote:
Is there some way to automatically load the Managed User Agent keys when the application starts.
There is not presently (although Activator provides an alternative), but I have also added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to add the ability to load multiple pre-defined private keys to agent when SecureCRT is launched. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #12429" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 08-06-2016, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the information. That helps.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:31 PM

Using the activator ended up costing me hours recovering from a failed installation because I didn't know where the active session went.

I didn't know they minimized to the Activator icon which is hidden by windows by default and kept wondering where my minimized sessions kept going.

Lost 3 of them over 3 hours today and finally had to try to figure out why they kept disappearing.

Found an article that pointed it out.

http://crazyviraj.blogspot.com/2010/...7-case-of.html

I guess I didn't realize that Minimize to the Activator option meant more than using the activator itself. Too bad you can't turn it on without minimizing to somewhere else when windows has a perfectly good way of dealing with minimized tasks.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:19 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi all,

For others that may come across this thread, there is an option in the General category of SecureCRT's Global Options that is Minimize to Activator in the system tray. [Windows only]

If you want to use Activator, it is not required that you enable this option, you can, instead, run Activator independently of SecureCRT. It is the Activator.exe file in SecureCRT's installation directory.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730