Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 10-15-2010, 09:48 AM

Lightbulb New Feature Possibilities

Hello-

Sorry for dumping these all in one post, but I've been thinking about them for a while and figure if I never mention them they surely can't possibly be addressed. So here they are...

Apologies if duplicates or previously discussed.

I'm currently running 6.5.1 b410

Thank you for SecureCRT, it helps me work so much more efficiently.

-gregg

-- Menu --
Add an "Edit | Clear Chat Window" (there's a Clear for everything else.) -- mostly so that the Button bar menu function MENU_CLEAR_CHAT will exist

-- Scripting --
crt.Chat.clear - clear the chat window (Similar to Select All, Delete)
crt.Chat.get - retrieve the contents of the Chat window -- this would be useful for lots of things
crt.Chat.set( text ) - populate the chat window with text (which may have been loaded from a file) -- I typically execute one of two very long SQL statements that I frequently copy/past from notepad to the Chat window. It'd be _really_ cool if I could just press a Button Bar button to launch a script that loaded the text file into the Chat window. (I make minor edits to the base scripts, so I can't just send directly from the file)

-- Chat window editing --
Ctrl-A to select all chat window text. (There is right-click support to do this, but the Ctrl-A keystroke is ubiquitous and I miss it here)
Ctrl-BackSpace to delete word left. (Also a pretty common editor feature)
PageUp and PageDown keys - when scrolling around in long chat windows, it would be nice if these keys could take the cursor to the very top and and very bottom of the buffer.
For example: PgDn takes you to the last screenfull of Chat window text, but leaves the cursor somewhere in the middle of the chat window. I think it would make sense for one more press of PgDn to take you to the last line of the text in the Chat window.
Option to swap the functionality of Enter / Ctrl-Enter. -- When editing long SQL scripts, I frequently forget where I am (not in an editor) and will hit Enter to go to the next line (or to separate a long line into two) only to have the contents shipped off to the remote system (annoying and potentially dangerous). (((and now i'm starting to get paranoid when i press enter in other editors)))

-- Button Bar --
Reposition buttons on the Button Bar - editing the external text file is kind of a pain.

Thank you!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:18 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hello Gregg,

I have added this thread to the following feature requests in our development database:

Add option to clear Chat Window
Add chat window object to the scripting interface
Enhance chat window to support Select All (Ctrl-A shortcut) and scrolling functionality (Page Up, Page Down)
Option to swap Enter and Ctrl+Enter behavior in the chat window
Allow buttons to be moved (dragged) within the button bar

Should a future release of SecureCRT include any of these features, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct e-mail notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Requests - Forum Thread #6279" in the subject line.

You can also submit feature requests on our website here.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-01-2010, 01:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jdurrett
Reposition button bars.

I second everything Gregg said with emphasis to me on repositioning of buttons on bar - just like the ability to slide tabs left and right around the top for sessions.

Regards,
John
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg
Hello-

-- Menu --
Add an "Edit | Clear Chat Window" (there's a Clear for everything else.) -- mostly so that the Button bar menu function MENU_CLEAR_CHAT will exist

-- Scripting --
crt.Chat.clear - clear the chat window (Similar to Select All, Delete)
crt.Chat.get - retrieve the contents of the Chat window -- this would be useful for lots of things
crt.Chat.set( text ) - populate the chat window with text (which may have been loaded from a file) -- I typically execute one of two very long SQL statements that I frequently copy/past from notepad to the Chat window. It'd be _really_ cool if I could just press a Button Bar button to launch a script that loaded the text file into the Chat window. (I make minor edits to the base scripts, so I can't just send directly from the file)

-- Chat window editing --
Ctrl-A to select all chat window text. (There is right-click support to do this, but the Ctrl-A keystroke is ubiquitous and I miss it here)
Ctrl-BackSpace to delete word left. (Also a pretty common editor feature)
PageUp and PageDown keys - when scrolling around in long chat windows, it would be nice if these keys could take the cursor to the very top and and very bottom of the buffer.
For example: PgDn takes you to the last screenfull of Chat window text, but leaves the cursor somewhere in the middle of the chat window. I think it would make sense for one more press of PgDn to take you to the last line of the text in the Chat window.
Option to swap the functionality of Enter / Ctrl-Enter. -- When editing long SQL scripts, I frequently forget where I am (not in an editor) and will hit Enter to go to the next line (or to separate a long line into two) only to have the contents shipped off to the remote system (annoying and potentially dangerous). (((and now i'm starting to get paranoid when i press enter in other editors)))

-- Button Bar --
Reposition buttons on the Button Bar - editing the external text file is kind of a pain.

Thank you!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Hello John,

As mentioned in the previous post, should a future release of SecureCRT include any of the requested features, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct e-mail notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Requests - Forum Thread #6279" in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 08-26-2013, 11:32 AM
VanDyke Product Director

The ability to access the chat window from a script has been implemented in a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. If you would be interested in trying it, please send email to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen
Old 01-15-2014, 06:50 PM
VanDyke Product Director

The ability to swap the Enter and CTRL+Enter behavior in the Chat (Command) window has been implemented in a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. If you would be interested in trying it, please email me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen
Old 01-30-2014, 02:45 AM

Was the "clear chat window" ever implemented?

I can't seem to be able to clear/delete any/certain commands from the chat window

//Michael
Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 AM

Hi Michael,

The ability to clear the Command (Chat) Windows has not yet been implemented. If/When it is, we will post to this thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 02-27-2014, 02:46 AM

How about a "Clear Screen and Scrollback" for all opened Sessions - perhaps initiated from the Chat window?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 AM

Hi simpson,

Thanks for the suggestion. There is an option in a pre-release version to clear the screen and scrollback buffer using the Button Bar. If you would like to test this, please send a message to support@vandyke.com with a subject of Attn: Todd - Forum thread #6279.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730