Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 11-18-2008, 12:45 PM

Numlock Issue

I noticed a somewhat bizarre behavior.
While in SecureCRT (v6.1.2) my keyboard was acting like the numlock was off. This was strange as there is no numlock key (numeric keypad is always numeric). Other applications worked fine.

I tried messing with the Numeric keypad settings under Session Options/Terminal/Emulation/Modes to no avail.

I then plugged in another keyboard that had a numlock key and started a SecureCRT session with the numlock on. Closed the session out and now it works with my regular keyboard.

Is there a way to fix this without another keyboard?

Also - while testing I found that once a SecureCRT session is started the numlock key will not change between number/special key mode. Are there any settings I can make to allow users to do this? I occasionally have someone start SecureCRT with the numlock off and the only way they can get it to work is finish the session, turn the numlock on, and restart SecureCRT.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:36 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi DennisT,

I will need a little more information to understand the variables in play.

What remote application is the user in when this behavior surfaces?
Does this application send escape sequences to change the keypad mode status?

Also, could you send me a screenshot of the 'Terminal/Emulation/Modes' category when this behavior is seen?

Lastly, when it seems as though the Numlock key is stuck off, do the keypad buttons provide PgUp, PgDown, Home, End, and arrow key functionality, or are they sending strange escape sequences to the remote (similar to those sent by function keys, F1 and F2 etc.)?
Old 11-19-2008, 03:21 PM

This happens with our ERP application and with a plain shell session (RH Linux 5). Neither send codes to change the keypad status.

I don't see where I can attach a screenshot of the Modes screen. Under Initial and Current Modes only "Numeric Keypad" is selected. Under Mode switching "Enable 80/132 column switching" and "Enable cursor key mode switching" are checked. The problem occurs no matter what "Enable keypad mode switching" is set to (though I keep it unchecked).

When the Numlock is stuck off the keys do send the key movement commands (Arrows, PgUp, PgDown, etc.)

While testing I noticed that maybe the problem isn't as bad as I thought (though there's still a problem). If I'm in SecureCRT and the numlock is off I cannot turn it on. If I change focus to another application, turn on numlock, and then go back to SecureCRT then numlock is on. If I want to turn it off I have to change focus to another app, press numlock, and then change focus back to SecureCRT.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:38 AM

Hi DennisT,

Thanks for the added information.

The behavior you have described seems to point to a keyboard emulation misconfiguration.

The keyboard emulation can be configured in the 'Terminal/Emulation' category of the Session Options dialog.

If the 'Select an alternate keyboard emulation' option is enabled, and the drop-down menu is set to VT100 or VT220, the NumLock key will not change the numeric keypad behavior (since the NumLock key did not exist in an original VT100 or VT220 terminal).

Is this option enabled?

If so, does disabling this option resolve the issue?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:02 AM

Kevin,
I'm using a custom alternate emulation that was originally created back on v3.0. In the keymap file I have the following numlock entries:
E VK_NUMLOCK ""
SE VK_NUMLOCK VT_PF1
CSE VK_NUMLOCK VT_PF1

What should I change them to so that the numlock key will work?

Thanks, Dennis
Old 12-01-2008, 11:12 AM

Hi DennisT,

If you remove the following line from your .key file, close SecureCRT, restart SecureCRT, and connect to your session, are you able to successfully change the Numlock status?
E VK_NUMLOCK ""
Old 12-01-2008, 11:38 AM

That worked! Thanks