Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 12-17-2019, 12:04 PM

session rename issue

Hi:
I am trying SecureCRT version 8.7 in this version I found out that every time I rename a session's name SecureCRT just popup a window says that "Dependent session names that have changed are being updated in the session database"

during the update time(about 5-10 sec), I can not do a thing, It's very annoying. is there any way to get rid of it?
Attached Images
File Type: png 微信图片_20191218030215.png (2.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-17-2019, 12:32 PM

I noticed this behavior starting with Beta 1 but not with the Alpha's.

I might have around 1000 connections and the delay was as long as 10 seconds at times. The odd thing was, this would kick off every time, even when a session was not referenced or used by other sessions.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:38 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi kingzleshe and Reno,

We introduced a change in SecureCRT 8.7 Beta 1 that is likely causing the delay.

Changes in SecureCRT 8.7 (Beta 1) -- November 20, 2019
------------------------------------------------------
  • If a session is renamed or moved, any sessions using that session as a dependent session firewall are updated with the new session name or location.
Prior to the implementation of this feature, one would have to manually edit all of the sessions that utilize the renamed firewall session.

As you can imagine, if you have 100's or 1000's of sessions, manually editing all of your sessions to accommodate a firewall session rename would be quite tedious and time consuming.

In an effort to prevent such an occurrence, we implemented the change outlined above, so that SecureCRT will automatically edit any sessions that were configured to use the firewall session that was edited.

Thus, every time you rename a session SecureCRT must query all of your sessions to determine if any of your other sessions need to edited to accommodate the name change. If you have a lot of sessions, this could potentially cause a delay.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by berdmann; 12-17-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:20 AM

must query all of your sessions to determine if any of your other sessions need to edited to accommodate the name change.

I think it is better to make this behavior optional.
user can enable it or disable it as needed.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:06 PM

Hi kingzleshe,

I have submitted a bug report so that our QA/Dev team can investigate this behavior further. This may very well lead to a feature request to disable the new functionality. I will let you know what they have to say!

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 12-18-2019, 05:17 PM

Hi kingzleshe,

I heard back from our QA/Dev team and they have informed me that they are still looking into the behavior. Should progress be made toward a resolution, or further information be required, I will post here.

In the meantime, you can disable the new functionality by editing the "Update Dependent Session Firewalls" option in your Global.ini file. Your Global.ini file can be found in your Config folder, the path to which can be determined in Options > Global Options > Configuration paths

Please make the following change:

Code:
D:"Update Dependent Session Firewalls"=00000001
to..
Code:
D:"Update Dependent Session Firewalls"=00000000
Does disabling the specified ini option resolve the delay that you are experiencing?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 12-19-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdmann View Post
Hi kingzleshe,

I heard back from our QA/Dev team and they have informed me that they are still looking into the behavior. Should progress be made toward a resolution, or further information be required, I will post here.

In the meantime, you can disable the new functionality by editing the "Update Dependent Session Firewalls" option in your Global.ini file. Your Global.ini file can be found in your Config folder, the path to which can be determined in Options > Global Options > Configuration paths

Please make the following change:

Code:
D:"Update Dependent Session Firewalls"=00000001
to..
Code:
D:"Update Dependent Session Firewalls"=00000000
Does disabling the specified ini option resolve the delay that you are experiencing?
HI
I've checked the Global.ini file, there is no related code in it.
even I manually add the code in Global.ini file, the behavior still exist
Old 12-20-2019, 12:05 PM

Hi kingzleshe,

Please send me an email to support@vandyke.com with ATTN: Brittney, Forum Thread #14010 in the subject line, so that I can provide you with a newer version of SecureCRT 8.7.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730