Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 12-18-2007, 12:45 PM

FEAUTRE REQUEST - Confirmation before pasting X number of lines

I have a specific connection configured in SecureCRT that I don't want to paste more than one line to at a time. It is really only used for viewing configurations and the only time I paste something to it is an IP address when I am needing show the config of a specific device. I would like to see a per-connection feature that looked something like this:

[] Warn before pasting X number of lines

And allow the X to be a configurable number. Then if you attempt to paste more than X number of lines into that connection, it would pop up a dialog box warning that you are about to paste 250 lines and are you sure you want to do this.

I have just had a couple times where I thought I had copied an IP address but I still had an entire config in my clipboard and inadvertently pasted the entire config onto a device that I didn't mean to configure. This would just be a nice safegaurd. Without that feature, I am more likely to lose my job, and less likely to have money to continue purchasing new versions of CRT.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:03 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi mchilders,

I have created an entry in our feature request database for the ability to prompt the user when more than one line is being pasted in SecureCRT.

In the event that this feature is implemented, we will contact you.

Feel free to contact us if you would like to be contacted via e-mail in the event that this feature is implemented.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 AM

Hello,

Was this feature ever considered for implementation? Recently I found a similar feature in TeraTerm and it really helped me.

Maybe configurable number of lines is an overkill but just "more than one" with option to toggle it on/off would be really good.

Thank You,
Pavel.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 AM

Hi Pavel,

Feature requests are typically prioritized based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, the number of requests and the amount of implementation work required.

The feature has been considered every release since it was created, but it has not yet become a top priority for implementation.

We will post to this forum thread if it is added to a future SecureCRT release.

As an interim solution, have you considered pasting your data into the Chat Window before sending it?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730

Last edited by rtb; 01-14-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM

Todd,

I'm sorry it took me a while to respond.

Yes I was considering Chat Window before posting my question
And for a couple of reasons I found it to be not as sleek as a confirmation dialog:
  1. Chat Window occupies too much real estate on the screen. You need Chat Window height to be at least ten lines to be able to have a decent view of the script. And that will take a lot of pixels. This is very important when multiple windows are open (which is usually the case). Tabs could help some people but I always forget to switch them and end up pasting config into wrong system, so I gave up tabs just for that reason (unless I'm sending to all tabs, this is the case where Chat Window absolutely rules).
  2. Chat Window does not have copy-on-highlight/paste-on-middle-click functionality implemented... yet. I'm a UNIX-y person and all my terminal clients are configured with paste on the middle button click. If there is a way to paste into the Chat Window with just one click please let me know, I must have missed it in the documentation. So with Chat Window I'll need to do more clicks to paste or switch hands and use keyboard. With clipboard confirmation dialog - just two: middle click to paste, OK buton click to send. No keyboard, less movements.
Just for these two reasons I found myself switching from my primary weapon - SecureCRT to TeraTerm when I was doing manual configuration of several nodes at the same time.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the functionality that I was talking about. It's not flawless. I can't change font to something with fixed width, the program forgets the confirmation dialog size on exit if I resize it, I would place buttons on the bottom of the dialog to save space. But this is minor stuff comparing to the ergonomic advantages provided by this feature.

So resizable confirmation dialog when pasting multiple lines that can be turned on and off would really really help.

Thank You,
Pavel.
Attached Images
File Type: png clipboard_confirmation.png (27.3 KB, 360 views)
Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the feedback Pavel.

We will post to this thread if we add a confirm dialog, or the ability to single click paste into the Chat Window.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 01-05-2017, 10:53 AM
VanDyke Product Director

An optional confirmation dialog that is displayed when pasting multiple lines of text into a session has been added to a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. If you would like to try it, please email me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen
Old 06-01-2017, 09:42 AM

Would like this feature - confirmation before pasting

I would like this feature as well. I submitted a feature request.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:58 AM

Hi GT57,

Thanks for letting us know you're interested in this feature. We've gotten your email and responded to it.

Have a great day.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 06-15-2017, 11:02 AM

Yes, that would help to avoid some accidental copy-paste of configuration to Cisco routers :-)
Old 06-15-2017, 11:12 AM

Hi jjx,

If you would like me to make this version of SecureCRT available for you to evaluate please send an email to Suppport@VanDyke.com with "Attn: Eric Paste Confirmation" in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730