Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 10-08-2008, 03:52 PM

Change # of Rows when 80/132 switching

Is there a way to change the number of rows dynamically when we switch from 80 to 132 columns?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:23 PM

Hello DennisT,

Thanks for posting your question. I don't believe there is an escape sequence you can send to change the number of rows, but I'm checking into it.

I'd like to get a better understanding of your goal, and also find out a little more about why or how the ability to change the number of rows would help.

Could you provide more information about what you are hoping for and how the feature would help you?
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 10-13-2008, 09:51 AM

miked,
I'm using SecureCRT for a legacy ERP system. Normally the display is in 80*24 mode. When we run reports to the screen we switch to 132 columns. Secure CRT stays at 24 rows when we do this. When the font changes to support 132 columns it becomes smaller and thus we could display more of the report which is desirable.

I can "tweak" the ERP application to support more rows when in 132 mode. This isn't dynamic though so a simple resize of the widow wouldn't work. Essentially I'd like to be able to run 132*40 or maybe 132*44 (depends on how many rows I can fit onscreen) when in 132 mode.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:53 PM

Hi DennisT,

I'm still not sure I understand what you mean by "dynamic".

Does anything go wrong when you resize the SecureCRT window to add more rows?

If you were to tweak the ERP application, how would you do that?

How does the ERP application currently know how many rows to display?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:06 AM

The ERP application is programmed to expect (currently) 24 lines. I can change it to any number I want. This is a fixed number (not dynamic) so if the display were dragged to a larger # of lines only the fixed number would display.

Is there a way to set up SecureCRT to always switch to 44 lines when entering 132 mode from 80*24 mode?
Old 10-14-2008, 02:39 PM

Thanks DennisT,

Quote:
Is there a way to set up SecureCRT to always switch to 44 lines when entering 132 mode from 80*24 mode?
Currently there is not, but I can add a feature request to our database, but I'd still like to get a better understanding about how this feature will help.

Does the ERP application provide a separate row setting that's specific to 132-columns that's different from normal 80-column mode?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:00 PM

Mike,
Yes. The only time the application is in 132 mode is when reports are being displayed to screen (done by one program). This program could easily be modified to expect a number of rows when in this mode.

Our program could send control codes to set the number of rows (it sends a control for entering 132 mode already) or SecureCRT could have a ini file setting that defines the number of rows when in 132 mode.

Either way would work.

Thanks
Dennis
Old 10-15-2008, 03:57 PM

Thanks DennisT,

I have one last question just to verify your request before I create the feature request in our database. As I understand your situation and request, you would like an escape sequence that can change the number of rows, and it doesn't need to be the 80/132 column switching escape sequence - it could be any escape sequence.

Is this correct?
Old 10-15-2008, 04:07 PM

Yes. A (possibly better) alternative would be an allowed entry in the session ini file such as (not sure if the "D" is appripriate):
D:"132 Mode Rows"=00000000
where anything other than 0 fixes the number of rows in 132 mode.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:34 PM

Thanks for verifying and for the alternative suggestion. I've created a feature request and notified the product manager. If this is possible in a future version of SecureCRT we will post a follow up message to this forum. If you would like to have e-mail notification if this feature is implemented, please let us know.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:56 AM

48 by 132

If I understand the question that you are asking perhaps I have the answer for you. If I don't understand please excuse me for butting into your thread.

I also access legacy systems where we need a 132 column width. What I have done is to set up a shortcut in SecureCRT with it configured to support 48 by 132. Every time I launch the shortcut I get 48 by 132. Then if I need to go to 24 by 80 I simply change the option.

I do this in the session options window which is accessed by clicking on options, session options, terminal, emulation, logical rows, logical columns. I also have the option to synchronize view to size.

Then when I need to switch back to 24 by 80 I simply go change the settings back. I have gotten so used to using the screen in the 132 column mode that I seldom switch back.

I realize that this is a manual method and not automatic, but that is what I do to get the 132 columns.