Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 AM

Feature Request: Colorize SecureCRT

I use Notepad++ for all my text editing needs. One great thing about it is that via a 'language' plugin, you can have it colorize your Cisco configs to make them much more readable. Wouldn't it be great is Secure CRT could do this on the fly?

I've attached a lame attempt at a simple markup. Essentially, allow us to override and use our own custom coloring the same way Notepad++ does.

My eyes would thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colorSecureCRT.jpg (182.4 KB, 239 views)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Casey,

Thanks for the suggestion. Back in March of this year you asked to have keyword color highlighting added to SecureCRT.

How does this differ from that request?

Do you want us to enable color keyword highlighting with included pre-defined lists?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 11-13-2012, 03:09 PM

I had completely forgotten about that post back in March. It looks like I'm still requesting pretty much the same thing. You at least least now have a pretty picture to go with the request. The lack of on-the-fly colorization is just getting to me again.

SecureCRT is starting to feel a bit 'dated' to me recently. For example, the tile/cascade option, the TFTP service, and single word highlighting all seem so limited. They satisfy the need to check a feature box on marketing material, but not useful enough to the level that I've come to expect from SecureCRT. When showcasing SecureCRT, I avoid showing those features.

I first used SecureCRT in the late 90's. SecureCRT is still the best out there and worth every penny, but I can't help but think you guys are holding back. Planning something big?

* I know I've mentioned the tab + split screen thing before. IMHO the notepad++ implementation represents a how screen splitting (and maybe coloring) should be done; granted.. I think it can only do 2 splits.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the confirmation Casey.

We will post to this thread should we add the ability to color keywords in a future SecureCRT release.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 02-08-2013, 11:02 PM

Arrow +1

I have been a long timer enterprise user and would love to have a custom coloring feature in SecureCRT, would make browsing logs and config lot easier...
Old 02-11-2013, 06:57 AM

Whenever a new version of SecureCRT comes out, the first thing I check is to see if colorization is part of the new features. One day it will be.

I'm sure that on-the-fly colorization is no trivial task. Good things come to those who wait.

I do believe that once they do it, it will be a true stand out feature, especially if they put a lot of forethought and flexibility into it. For example, instead of having to manually come up with a special color scheme to match Wireshark or Notepad++ (examples from previous post), can you imagine if SecureCRT was able to import their coloring files? You'd have a uniform experience across multiple packages with minimal user effort.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 PM

Hi Casey,

Thanks for the feedback. We will post to this thread if we add colorization of keywords in the future, and I have notified the SecureCRT product director that you would like to be able to import color profiles from other applications. I can't say that the capability to use other program color profiles would be added, but if it is, we will post here.

Too bad there isn't some sort of standard out there for this type of functionality, so that it could operate between programs easily.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 04-21-2014, 03:21 PM
VanDyke Product Director

The ability to specify colors for keyword highlighting has been added to a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. If you would be interested in trying it, please send email to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen