Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 04-24-2008, 11:29 PM

making first connection

I have a windows xp at the office, and an identical computer at home.

The office machine has mysql server. A second office computer has successfully accessed that server on peer 2 peer. I want my home computer to be able to log into the office computer, so my excel vba app can access the mysql in the office.

I have a trial version of securecrt on the office server machine, and one on my home machine. at home, i used westell to configure a static pass through address. I use logmein.com to test the office computer from home.

I have no success in getting securecrt to talk to either machine in any way. Is there some kind of more explicit guidance. I know that mysql server uses localhost, 127.0.0.1, and port 3306.

Where could I find ANY sort of tutorial example to get securecrt to work and talk to ANYTHING on either machine.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:46 AM

Hi Karebac,

I just have a couple questions.

You mentioned that SecureCRT is installed on both machine but no mention of a server on either machine for SecureCRT to connect to.

Are there any SSH2 or telnet servers on the machines?

Were you needing a remote desktop type connection or just command line access?

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 AM

connecting from home to office, excel vba myodbc

Here is my situation:

At work, in the office, we have Verizon DSL, with a Westel modem, and two Dell Windows XP(professional), connected peer to peer. The mysql server is on my desktop. By the way, I can successfully log into that machine from my home dell xp using logmein.

What I want is to have an excel vba application at home connect to the mysql server at work. I gather from reading that it is through port 3306.

I have used canyouseeme.org on both server machine and client machine, to see the actual ip address. On my home machine I have used Westell 192.168.1.1 to enable a static ip address.

I have disabled the Zonealarm fire wall on the office machine.

I have googled for many articles on setting up tunneling with products like SecureCRT, Putty, etc.

I find it VERY confusing to understand which machine (home or office) I am supposed to configure what and how, and which IP addresses I should be using.

But, when I simply use the Microsoft ODBC utility to define a DSN for my odbc, I can see that the connection is being refused by the remote machine.

I also found a commandline TCP command which will test the actual port (e.g. 192.99.0.6:3306 making up an example quad address).

I am guessing that on both machines, home and office, I must configure the Westel modem to allow a fixed IP address. But I suspect that there are other obscure places in the operating system, where I should be allowing or enabling something.

I would be most happy if I could find a host for mysql, which would allow remote access via myodbc in vba.

It would be helpful to see a step by step instructions, explicitly saying:

ON THE OFFICE (mysql server machine), you configure SecureCRT in THIS fashion (and clearly state which machines IP address is referenced, or whether it is 127.0.0.1 local host).

ON THE HOME (client odbc excel app), you configure SecureCRT in SOME OTHER FASHION, being very clear about where to put which ip address of which machine.

The instructions that I do manage to find in google seem to address themselves to an audience which is already highly skilled and versed in various terminology.

What I am trying to accomplish should not be rocket science, I should think. I mean, products like logmein.com seem to install in a snap of easiness.

Someone should create a wizard of sorts, to configure a remote and a server machine, so that the average man in the street might be able to do these things without hours of struggling.

Thanks so much in advance, for any help or suggestions.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnygren
Hi Karebac,

I just have a couple questions.

You mentioned that SecureCRT is installed on both machine but no mention of a server on either machine for SecureCRT to connect to.

Are there any SSH2 or telnet servers on the machines?

Were you needing a remote desktop type connection or just command line access?
I am not knowledgeable enough to understand your question. To my knowledge no such server is installed. Should I be installing some other kind of software as well?
Old 04-28-2008, 04:23 AM

I did find some solution to 3306 mysql

I have not yet been able to get securecrt or tunneling to my desktops to work, but I did find a free mysql host who allows remote access to one's mysql through port 3306. That got my Excel VBA working easily via myodbc. I would post the site, but I know forums like this would consider it spaming. I did find a few hosts who offer remote 3306 port access to mysql. I shall continue to try to get tunneling to work.

Thanks for whatever advice you may provide.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:19 AM

Hi Karebac,

Thanks for all the information!

In order to establish a SSH2 connection, there needs to be both a SSH2 client (like SecureCRT) to initiate the SSH2 connection and a SSH2 server on the remote machine (like VShell) to accept the connection.

In this case, there isn't a SSH2 server on the remote machine to accept the connection from SecureCRT. This is why the connection refused error occurring.

If a SSH2 server is installed on the remote machine, does the connection from SecureCRT succeed?

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Hi Karebac,

Thanks for all the information!

In order to establish a SSH2 connection, there needs to be both a SSH2 client (like SecureCRT) to initiate the SSH2 connection and a SSH2 server on the remote machine (like VShell) to accept the connection.

In this case, there isn't a SSH2 server on the remote machine to accept the connection from SecureCRT. This is why the connection refused error occurring.

If a SSH2 server is installed on the remote machine, does the connection from SecureCRT succeed?
You are helping me to see that I need somthing on both machines, but I am slightly confused now. OK suppose I have secureCRT running on my home desktop.

Should I also have secureCRT running on the office machine, where the mysql server is. You confuse me by mentioning VShell.

Next confusion: How exactly would I configer Vshell or securecrt on the office machine? What parameters would I set.

I have been playing with various sofwares and machines for hours at a time, for days now. I contacted my Verizon DSL support to see if there is some way I could reconfigure the Westell modem. I totally uninstalled the firewall I had, which helped in certain things.

As a side note, I did find a free mysql host which allows me to remotely log in to their server through port 3306, which allows me to do exactly what I want, namely remove access mysql with excel vba as a front end. But I would still like to see if I could do it with an office machine.

So, I shall be hunting aroung for this VSHELL of which you speak. Each new shred of information brings me a little closer to possibly having success.

I also, today, subscribed to one of those no-ip services, but I have not seen any improvement from it.

So, you are saying that if I intall VSHELL on the office mysql server, and securecrt on my home machine, then, my home machine using excel vba odbc can access port 3306 on the office machine. Any step by step details would greatly help.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:39 AM

Hi Karebac,

VShell is our SSH2 server product.

You can find more information here.

The basic setup is to have a session in SecureCRT that connects to the SSH2 server on the remote machine (such as VShell). This session will create a port forward listening on the machine that SecureCRT is installed on. When an application connects to that local port, the traffic will be forward to the port specified in the port forward on the remote machine.

The Excel VBA application would connect to the local machine on the port forward that was setup in SecureCRT.

To set this up in your SecureCRT client:

1. Select "File / Connect..." to open the "Connect" dialog.
2. Click on the "New Session" button and configure a SSH2 session that connects to the VShell/SQL server.
3. Select the "Connections / Port Forwarding" category and press the "Add" button.
4. Create a port forward entry with the following settings:
1. Name: SQL (or whatever name is meaningful to you)
2. Local Port: 3906
3. Remote Port: 3906
4. Clear the "Destination host is different for the SSH server" check box if VShell is installed on the same machine as the SQL server.
5. Click on the "OK" button until you are back at the "Connect" dialog and then click on the "Connect" button to initiate your new session.

In the Excel VBA application, it will need to be configured to connect to localhost port 3906.

Does this help?

Teresa

Teresa Nygren

Last edited by tnygren; 04-29-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:15 PM

Need details of VShell install on office machine

Quote:
Hi Karebac,

VShell is our SSH2 server product.

You can find more information here.

The basic setup is to have a session in SecureCRT that connects to the SSH2 server on the remote machine (such as VShell). This session will create a port forward listening on the machine that SecureCRT is installed on. When an application connects to that local port, the traffic will be forward to the port specified in the port forward on the remote machine.

The Excel VBA application would connect to the local machine on the port forward that was setup in SecureCRT.

To set this up in your SecureCRT client:

1. Select "File / Connect..." to open the "Connect" dialog.
2. Click on the "New Session" button and configure a SSH2 session that connects to the VShell/SQL server.
3. Select the "Connections / Port Forwarding" category and press the "Add" button.
4. Create a port forward entry with the following settings:
1. Name: SQL (or whatever name is meaningful to you)
2. Local Port: 3906
3. Remote Port: 3906
4. Clear the "Destination host is different for the SSH server" check box if VShell is installed on the same machine as the SQL server.
5. Click on the "OK" button until you are back at the "Connect" dialog and then click on the "Connect" button to initiate your new session.

In the Excel VBA application, it will need to be configured to connect to localhost port 3906.

Does this help?
This helps a LOT to clarify for me that I install SECURECRT on my home computer, and then VShell on the office computer where the mysql server is.

But, I could also use an equally detailed explanation of what I will click on and key in to install the VShell (similar to the detail you gave above for SECURECRT). Thanks for your time and quick response to my questions!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:05 PM

Just spent an hour

I have two machines in the office. On the mysql server machin (windows xp running mysql, and many other programs), I loaded VShell.

I did not configure it in any special way, since I have no instructions.

On the other machine I kept trying to configure SECURECRT according to the instructions here. I tried every imaginable combination of things. I also tried with a shareware product that is similar to securecrt, in that it allows tunneling.

No luck.

I am wondering if there is some SIMPLE test I could perform (other than port 330 mysql), to demonstrate that the connection is successful.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:01 PM
VanDyke Customer Support

Hi Karebac.

You don't have to configure VShell in any special way for it
to allow your port forward to work.

When you set up port forwarding in your SecureCRT session
and you connect to that session, your local machine starts
listening on your forwarded port (in this case, you are
listening on port 3906 on every IP address in the 127.x.x.x
range.

Any traffic that gets sent to your local port 3906, gets
forwarded through the secure tunnel on port 22 that was set
up when you connected your session. When it reaches the
VShell server, it gets forwarded to port 3906 of your SQL
server machine. If VShell is running on the same machine as
your SQL server, it doesn't go any further. If the SQL
server is running on a different machine, VShell forwards
the traffic along to port 3906 of the SQL machine.

In order to take advantage of the port forward, you must
configure your SQL client to connect to the IP address
127.0.0.1 (or any other IP address in the 127.x.x.x range)
on port 3906. Normally, without using port forwarding, you
connect directly to the IP address of your SQL server.

One common way to check connectivity between an SSH client
and and SSH server is to open a Windows command prompt and
issue the following command from the client machine:

telnet <IP address of the SSH2 server> 22

If the SSH2 server's IP address is 192.168.5.1, then the
command would be:

telnet 192.168.5.1 22

If you have connectivity between the two machines on port
22, you should expect to see the version string of the SSH2
server that is listening on port 22.

You might be able to use a similar method to see if your
port forward is configured correctly and working. First try
the following:

Log on to the SQL machine, open a command prompt and issue
the following command:

telnet localhost 3906

If you see a version string or some response that comes from
teh SQL server, you can try issuing the same command from
the SecureCRT machine. You should see the same response
from the SQL server if the port forward is working the way
you want it to.

I know that an SSH2 server is supposed to reply with a
version string, but I don't know what to expect from an SQL
server from that kind of command, so the test might not work
the same way.

You can also open a Windows command prompt on the SecureCRT
machine and issue the following command to find out if it is
truly listening on your localhost IP address on port 3906

netstat -an

Does that show that your machine is listening on port 3906?

Finally, you should also be able to see if your SQL client
is trying to use your port forward by looking at the Vshell
log file. You might need to enable Debug logging to get the
best information. If you would like us to take a look at
your VShell log file, please feel free to send it to us at
support@vandyke.com as it may contain information that you
might not want to post to a public forum.

Thanks

JJH
Old 04-30-2008, 07:30 AM

Confusion regarding port 3906

Thanks for the detailed further instructions.

I notice that replies to my post make reference to Port 3906. Yet, mysql remote uses port 3306. Is 3906 simply a typo, that was carried along in further posts, or is there something UNIQUE about 3906, which means that I should somehow reconfigure mysql to listen on port 3906.

I shall be experimenting further with VShell and SecureCRT, and shall certain send the log to tech support.

I am wondering if my problem has to do with Verizon DSL, or my Westell modem.
I did log into the Westel modem, to see if there is anything I might reconfigure to make all this work, and I consulted Verizon DSL tech support. But I discovered no solutions.

Thanks!

I did discover a free mysql host service that permits remote access through port 3306, at bluesql.net, and that works just fine from home and work computers. There are not many hosts who allow remote mysql access but there are a few.

It would be handy to be able to connect to my office computer, and I will continue to experiment in the American spirit of discovery and conquest.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:56 AM
VanDyke Customer Support

Hi Karebac

You are correct. I didn't bother to check which port mysql
uses. I just carried it over from a previous post.
Anywhere I wrote "3906" you can assume I meant 3306. Sorry
about that.

SecureCRT makes the connection to the SSH2 server on port
22, so that is the only port that needs to be open on your
firewall or router if you have one. A software firewall
like ZoneAlarm or Norton or McAfee can also block traffic
from SecureCRT or on port 22, so you might check to see if
you have anything else installed on your system that might
prevent SecureCRT from connecting to your SSH2 server.

Does the free mysql server machine that you found also have
an SSH2 server running on it?

If it does, you might be able to configure the same port
forward to connect to it. Presumably, you are connecting
directly from your mysql client to the free mysql server
using port 3306. When your port forward is set up, you will
be connecting to your localhost IP address instead of the IP
address of the server.

JJH
Old 04-30-2008, 04:25 PM

I Emailed 2 days of Vshell Log

I tried again today, experimenting with VShell and securenet, with no luck.

I emailed my Vshell logs

I started working with computers in 1978, doing Basic, and some Z80 assembler.
In the 1980s, I worked with RPGII and Cobol on a mainframe, and did some 8080 assembler. In the 1990s, I worked with Revelation and Pick Basic. In this current century, I did a fair amount with PhP. The point I am making is that, for all my experience, your products are giving me quite a challenge.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:37 AM

My work desktop must have problems

Upon further reflection, I realize that my desktop at work, running VShell, may have certain problems. I should really find two other machines, and test out vshell and securecrt. I wish I had the luxury to do a fresh windows install at work, but, I do not, since I am not that skilled, and too much is at risk, if I cant get the computer back to the way it needs to be, with quickbooks, etc.

I am and have been using XP for some years now. I am concerned about the possibility of XP being no longer supported. Are you folks using Vista with success? Or should I try very hard to learn linux and get a linus machine (since I think that is here to stay)?