Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Scripting

Old 07-18-2011, 04:53 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to JBeau
Public Key

My use of SecureCRT is highly scripted, has been for as long as it's been possible, but my scripts are quite basic, I'm sure.

Recently, one of our bigger customers has changed from normal password based login protocols to a "pass phrase" methodology.

So, I had to go into that customer's main session options and disable Authentication: Password and turn on Authentication: PublicKey.

The key they gave us to use is entered via a popup window in SecureCrt. And it's a monster of a key. No way any of our tech's is ever going to be able to remember it, so every tech call now requires looking up this lengthy code and manually entering it into the popup window.

Our systems are safely behind a VPN, our login scripts previously handled all the password authentications and got our techs directly to work on the server(s) in question without all this brou-ha-ha.

Is there any way to automate the entering of the passcode phrase like we could do for passwords?

(fingers crossed)
Old 07-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Hello JBeau,

Thanks for posting your question. In current versions of SecureCRT (6.0 or newer) you can enable Display logon prompts in terminal window, in Session Options / Connection / Logon Actions. This option will cause the prompt for a public key's passphrase to appear in the terminal window instead of in a popup window.

As an example of how this option might be useful, your script could wait for the string Enter Passphrase for, and when detected, send the lengthy passphrase.

Which version of SecureCRT are you using (Help / About SecureCRT)?

Can you change your scripts to wait for the passphrase prompt?
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 07-18-2011, 06:03 PM

That worked perfectly! Thank you so much! Never used that before, now I know why.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:39 PM

I'm glad to hear that worked. In case you or anyone else is interested, if using Logon script is more than you wanted, you could use Automate logon instead, and enter Expect and Send strings. The Expect string could be Enter Passphrase. If the only purpose of the logon script was to enter the passphrase, then using Automate logon seems advantageous because the Expect/Send strings you enter become part of the session, rather than an separate script file.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:16 PM

In this instance, I do use Automate Logon. Good advice.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Monte.Tucker
SSH Password

Most of the ssh clients I log into require a SecureID key fob for the password. I enter a pin, which I would like to automate, and the numbers on the key fob. SecureCRT handles my userid fine, but if I enter the pin, SecureCRT will append a CR and I won't be able to enter the key fob data. I can 'display prompts in terminal window', leave the password blank and use a button bar to enter my pin as a work around, but I don't like to use up my button bar real estate for something that I may be able to automate. It would be a simple vb script to wait for the password: and enter the pin, which I may resort to, but I wanted to check here first.

BTW, I even tried leaving my username blank and using a button for both, but the \n between username and the password was not recognized. It entered a ^j instead. I'm using the SecureCRT 7.0b1.

Thanks,
Monte
Old 05-04-2012, 04:08 PM

Hello Monte,

Can you clarify which SecureCRT feature you're using (such as Session Options / Automate Logon, or Logon script, etc.)?