Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 02-04-2019, 03:23 AM

Exclamation Feature Request: central credentials repository

Hi!

I remember we were talking about this in the past, but I can't find any post about it right now, so I decided to issue a new thread, because I've been waiting for this feature for a couple of years now.

What I really really need is some kind of central credentials repository - possibly as addition to the credential features that are in particular session's properties.

Let me share with you my challenge. I have 1000+ Cisco devices to which I login with my domain credentials (devices have tacacs+ access and they verify my user/pass in the central server, which gets my current password from the domain). The problem is I have to change this domain password monthly - I'm sure I'm not the only one - I bet most of admins must do the same.

After changing my password in the domain I have to alter credential data in my SecureCRT sessions for those devices that use tacacs+. I know - you will pop up with the "changing the settings for multiple sessions at once" feature, but this really can't be used because (of course) not all of my sessions have the same connect/login settings. Most of the sessions are SSH with tacacs, but not all - some of them use SSH with some local passwords (not domain - they don't have to be changed), some other sessions use telnet and tacacs, some other sessions use telnet and local passwords. You see there is a variety of connection possibilities and, of course, different kind of sessions are mixed up, so there is no possibility to choose all sessions and change the password.

What would be needed to solve this problem is some kind of SecureCRT central credentials repository. In my imagination it could work like that:

I go to some central option in SecureCRT and define "Cred1" user and password there. Then I go to my session and choose "Authentication - Cred1". Then this session passess "Cred1" to the device upon login. This way I could change "Cred1" at one central place and it would pass the proper new password to all devices that need it.

It could (and should) be an additional option to "Logon Actions" pane in the session properties as well as to "Authentication" pane in SSH2 properties and other password-related options in other session types. This way any session that has local credentials on the device could be configured individually and any session that would need to pass the common credentials could pull it from the central repository.

Please consider this as I believe most of admins are facing the problem of changing the password to lot of devices after domain-password-change.

Best regards,

JD
Old 02-04-2019, 07:38 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Judge Dredd,

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database for a substitution database for logon actions (username/password, credentials). Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #13387" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 06-07-2019, 01:55 PM

Thumbs up Second this request

I second this request. It would make for so much easier authentication when able to choose from a set of credentials when those credentials are changed regularly.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:40 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotBob View Post
I second this request. It would make for so much easier authentication when able to choose from a set of credentials when those credentials are changed regularly.
Dear dotBob,

Thanks for chiming in.

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support