Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 10:31 PM

Drag and Drop File Transfers - V6.5

I tried the drag and drop file transfer.

1. Open a sesion
2. Drag a text file from a windows folder to the open session
3. Choose ascii in the popup window

Result: The file was run line by line in the session and not copied.

Questions:
1. Are there prerequisites for the drag and drop transfer ? We only have SecureCRT
2. Is there a way to disable this function ? Having a text file run automatically when dragged to a session to copy can be very dangerous

Thanks
cr1275
Old 10-07-2009, 12:15 PM

D&D onto an SSH session transfers the text w/ASCII, as if typed.
D&D onto an SFTP session transfers the file.

I would agree that transfer via the first method could be very dangerous. I don't see a mechanism to disable.

Last edited by MrC; 10-07-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:16 PM

Hello cr1275,

Quote:
I tried the drag and drop file transfer.
1. Open a sesion
2. Drag a text file from a windows folder to the open session
3. Choose ascii in the popup window
Result: The file was run line by line in the session and not copied.
This is the expected behavior. Sending a file as ASCII is the same as selecting Send ASCII in the Transfer menu. The contents of the file are sent to the remote as if the contents were typed (or cat'd) into the window.

Quote:
1. Are there prerequisites for the drag and drop transfer ? We only have SecureCRT
There are no pre-requisites. SecureCRT 6.5 provides drag and drop transfer by dragging a file to the SecureCRT window pane, releasing the file, then selecting one of the following:
  • Send ASCII
  • Send Xmodem
  • Send Ymodem
  • Send Zmodem
These options are the same as the options in the Transfer menu.
Quote:
2. Is there a way to disable this function ? Having a text file run automatically when dragged to a session to copy can be very dangerous
Just to clarify behavior, the text file does not run automatically.

You must select Send ASCII for anything in the text file to be sent as ASCII to the remote.

The drag and drop menu can be dismissed with no action occuring if you click outside of the menu or press the Escape key (same behavior as other context menus you may encounter in Windows). So even if you accidentally drag and drop a file onto the SecureCRT window, there's an easy way to avoid accidentally sending the file as commands.

There is not currently a way to disable the drag and drop functionality, but I've added a product enhancement request to our database so that we can consider adding this option in a future release. If added we'll post a follow up message to this forum thread. For direct e-mail notification, let us know and reference forum thread 4085.
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]

Last edited by miked; 10-07-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:44 PM

Some trigger-sensitive mice have buttons that can easily be released/clicked during drag operations. I found it not too hard to trigger a transfer while dragging across the screen, simulating the rapid release-click that happens for me on occasion (Razer Diamondback mouse).

It might be safer, and clearer, to include a dialog title bar in the pop-up dialog, and position the mouse over the title. This will help resist accidental releases and hence selection of ASCII. Certainly it won't prevent the same issue on up, down, or diagonal travels.

Perhaps a confirmation dialog?

Request: how about including an SFTP menu item, so that an SFTP session would be created and the transfer initiated, if the target is an SSH window?
Old 10-07-2009, 03:33 PM

Thanks MrC,

I've updated the product enhancement request for drag and drop transfers and included your suggestions for file transfer confirmation, as well as addition of an SFTP transfer option. Again, we'll post here if we change the drag and drop behavior along the lines you're suggesting. Let us know if you'd like e-mail notification as well.
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 AM

Nice new feature the drag and drop.

But when i drag/drop files with unix line terminators (coming from tftp backups from switches) I don't get any enters.
Would be nice if securecrt would understand the unix line terminators.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:51 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi ddx,

Thanks for reporting this issue.

It appears as though this is an issue with the Send ASCII functionality. We are currently researching this issue. I will post to this thread when we have an update regarding this issue. If you would like me to update you directly, please send an email to support@vandyke.com with a subject of Attn: Todd - Forum Thread #4085.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi ddx,

We have a new build of SecureCRT that should address the issue of non-Windows line ending characters not being recognized and treated correctly.

If you would like to test this new build, please send an email to support@vandyke.com with a subject of Attn: Todd - Forum Thread #4085, and include in the body of the email whether you need the combined SecureCRT/SecureFX or the standalone SecureCRT installer, and whether you run 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730