VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What should the default color for the activity status indicator be?
Blue 15 53.57%
Yellow 10 35.71%
Other (please post description) 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2005, 03:18 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Tab status indicator poll

We are planning to make the tab status indicator colors configurable, but I wanted to take a poll to see what color the default activity indicator should be. Please take a look at the attached screenshots and vote for which color you think the activity indicator should be. If you pick "Other", please post a reply with a description.

Thanks for taking the poll.

Maureen
Attached Images
File Type: png red_blue_green.PNG (3.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: png red_yellow_green.PNG (3.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 04-06-2005, 03:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to dcomo
Maureen,

Instead of a straight yellow, how about an orange color that is dark enough to be clearly visable, however needs to be 'orange' enough not be be confused with Red. (Looking towards more of a brownish/orange.)
Old 04-14-2005, 09:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to alexus Send a message via AIM to alexus Send a message via MSN to alexus Send a message via Yahoo to alexus
pink?

i think default should be default, but let's not forget some people might be color blind and i think it's better to also have this be adjustable, just leave default as a blue or yellow or whatever you guys will chooce.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:31 AM

I like red/yellow/green best, the blue seems out of place. Customization is key though, and it would be nice to be able to choose your own indicator colors (or turn them off).
Old 04-19-2005, 03:57 AM

Yellow is a warning

I like blue because it isn't in the red/yellow/green status spectrum. I don't see the activity as "warning" but rather as purely informational.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:44 AM

What are the states?

I couldn't find anything in the help to say what the states could be so I tried to figure it out; my default configuration seems to be green for "no activity user hasn't seen", blue for "activity user hasn't seen has occurred", and red for disconnected. Is this accurate?

If so, I would vote no colour for when nothing has happened that hasn't been seen, and independently, "faded" tab text for disconnected (make the session name a grey, much as windows deactivates form fields that you can't get to).

That means you only need one colour of activity light that means something has happened that the user hasn't seen (whether connected or disconnected). Default colour can be black, in that case. Personally I think I'd put the bar under the name as wide as the tab rather than to the side. The important bit of what I'm trying to communicate is that I want the *presence* of the bar to indicate activity, not the colour of the bar.

If you think it's important that people know where the bar would be if it were being displayed, then I say make a black or grey outline and make the inside black (configurable) when there has been activity, otherwise let it be the background colour inside.

I'd also consider as an alternative doing what windows does when a taskbar tab needs to alert -- flash the tab orange (or perhaps it just reverses the RGB values or there's a preset contrasting colour defined in the scheme).

That's assuming I'm accurate as to what the colours mean.

Last edited by bowertech; 04-20-2005 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Bashar Send a message via AIM to Bashar Send a message via Yahoo to Bashar
i'd say blue/green/yellow and red for critical tabs to be use configurable
Old 04-27-2005, 01:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to dcomo
According to the VanDyke newsletter that was released today, the next beta will allow customization of the color(s).
Old 04-30-2005, 03:27 PM

I don't care what color it is, please make it bigger!

Could you please make the background of the entire tab change color? The current vertical bar is nice, but very difficult to see, depending on your screen resolution.

You might consider having an option that allows the user to pick the colors they want to use for this, and have the option of making the colors flash to get your attention better.

The tabs are a great feature, instead of having 10-20 windows open, I can keep the number a lot lower, but it'd be very helpful to have the tabs work hard to get my attention. ;-)

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:20 AM
VanDyke Product Director

Thanks for the feedback. The next beta will allow the color and width of the bar to be configured. If you'd like to try an interim build with this support, please send an e-mail to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen