Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 10-29-2013, 05:31 PM

sCRT 7.1 questions - Chat window, tiling

Hi, I am a newbie using sCRT 7.1. First of all, congrats on this tool, I find it really, really helpful.

I have a couple of questions and hope to get some answers.

1) vi commands guide via chat. It'd be awesome to have a vi command guide through chat.
My specific question is about ALT chars and others basic functions

a) How do I undo via chat (with multiple tiled sessions)
b) How do I delete a line through char ('dd' did not work)

2) Tiled windows not launched in sequence.
I have quite a few shortcuts. In a folder, I have 4 sessions, server 1-4, but when launched via a shortcut, the tiling function does not seem to respect this order at all. Am I missing something, please? I need server 1-4 tiled in sequence!

Thank you, appreciate your tool
Old 10-30-2013, 10:54 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi vramaswa,

I am glad to hear that SecureCRT is working so well for you.
Quote:
1) vi commands guide via chat. It'd be awesome to have a vi command guide through chat.
My specific question is about ALT chars and others basic functions
Are you really looking for a way to use the chat window to send escape sequences to all tabs, or would you like to be able to type in one tab, and have that broadcast to all open tabs?
Quote:
2) Tiled windows not launched in sequence.
I have quite a few shortcuts. In a folder, I have 4 sessions, server 1-4, but when launched via a shortcut, the tiling function does not seem to respect this order at all. Am I missing something, please? I need server 1-4 tiled in sequence!
This is a limitation in the way that tiling is implemented. I have created a feature request to change the behavior. Should we add a way to retain the order with tiles, we will post to this thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request
In the meantime, you could use the attached example script to reorder the tiles after you have connected. I would use the following to make this work:
  • Enable Connect to multiple sessions sequentially located in the Terminal / Advanced category of the Global Options dialog.
  • Define the script as a Logon script: in the Connection / Logon Actions category of the Session Options dialog for the last session in the list of sessions in the folder.
Does this help you accomplish your goal?
Attached Files
File Type: txt TabTileOrdenator-RunsOnce.vbs.txt (394 Bytes, 272 views)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 10-30-2013, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the reply, Todd, appreciate it.
I will try the script for the tiling sequence and get back.

For vi through chat, I really want to be able to view all my tiled sessions while editing...(I now have buttons for ESC and ctrl+C, so I am OK on them)

My requirement is to 'gang-edit' through vi using the chat (send to all) function:

a) delete lines (dd seems to work, but at times doesn't), any better way?

b) Copy lines, say 10 through 50, and then paste to notepad (I use windows)

c) ALT + u to undo, I cannot seem to replicate this functionality

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:36 PM

Hi Vikram,
Quote:
For vi through chat, I really want to be able to view all my tiled sessions while editing...(I now have buttons for ESC and ctrl+C, so I am OK on them)
It sounds like the Command (Chat) window is not really the way you need to go. The Command (Chat) window is not particularly adept at handling escape sequences. What you are talking about doing sounds more like having a master tile that you interact with, and the interaction is broadcast to all other tiles (or tabs). Would you like me to create a feature request to add this type of functionality?
Quote:
a) delete lines (dd seems to work, but at times doesn't), any better way?
The Command (Chat) window always includes a carriage return which is probably the reason for the inconsistent results.

I would recommend using the Button Bar for this.
Quote:
b) Copy lines, say 10 through 50, and then paste to notepad (I use windows)
I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish. It sounds like the solution may be possible via a script. Would you provide a set of steps you would take to manually accomplish your goal?
Quote:
c) ALT + u to undo, I cannot seem to replicate this functionality
I am not familiar with this functionality in vi. What does ALT+U do?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 10-31-2013, 02:31 PM

Thanks for your reply Todd.

Yes, please, working on a master window to broadcast to others could be useful.

Copy-paste: My requirement when I posted this question was;

1) vi or less [through chat (send to all) ] to multiple (say 4) servers that are tiled.

2) Copy next 'x' lines from current line

3) paste to notepad

I am not sure now if that is possible because there would be 4 (or the number of sessions open) versions of 'copy' action. I don't even know if that's possible, but if there is, that'd save me a lot of time.

So, finally I should be able to do;

1) Copy next 50 lines through chat (send all) on 4 sessions in vi
2) CTRL+1 would paste whatever was copied from server 1!

Sorry for the long post!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:52 PM

Hi Vikram,

Thanks for the explanation. It sounds like you want to send data to all open tiles and capture the output to a file. I can't think of a way to capture the output from all tiles at the same time. Would it be OK if a script iterated over the open tiles one at a time? Do you want to paste the data or would it be OK if you just wrote the data to a file for each machine?

Can you provide me a real world example of what it is you want to do (redacting any sensitive data)?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730