Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Secure Shell

Notices

Old 12-21-2006, 05:31 AM

Automatically use Windows username in "Session Options - Username"?

Hi all!

(Running SecureCRT 5.2.0, Build 229) on Windows XP Pro.

Our Unix (mainly Solaris) environment has been kerberized and is authenticating via some proxy service (from vintela.com) against our Windows ActiveDirectory. Don't ask about details here, I was not involved in it's setup. It's working very well (which may indeed be due to the fact that wasn't involved ).

In SecureCRT, I define the session options as follows:
Session Options
  • Username: (same as Windows user)
  • Authentication: 1. GSSAPI 2. PublicKey 3. Password 4. Keyboard Interactive
  • GSSAPI Method: GSSAPI
  • GSSAPI Delegation: Full
  • GSSAPI SPN: host@unqualified-hostname.KERBEROS.REALM (since our domain and Kerberos realm names dont yet match).
This is very convenient, no need for passwords nor usernames to be entered, and all is working well.

Now I'd like to share the .ini files with my teammates, but of course their usernames are different. Is there a way I can enter something like %logonuser% or another global system variable into the username field, so that authentication is always tried with the currently logged-on user?

If there isn't, here's a featue request: Include a checkbox next to the Username field in Session Options that activates the use of the current windows user name.

For example in Vintela's kerberized PuTTY, there is such a checkbox next to the "Auto-login username" field. It says: "If blank, use system username (...)"

The good thing about it is that in the brackets, it shows the actual username string it has found somewhere in the depths of Windows registry and authentication modules.

The tricky thing in my case was that somewhere deep in the AD, my username was written in uppercase, and PuTTY had found it like that - any kerberos authentication against a Unix box would fail until this got eventually fixed by the AD admins.

best regards

Marc
Old 12-21-2006, 05:41 AM

oh, by the way, on the command line it works like this:

Code:
vsh -l %USERNAME% -auth gss-ms-kerberos unqualified-hostname.KERBEROS.REALM
... where I made sure that unqualified-hostname.KERBEROS.REALM is a CNAME to hostname.mycompany.com. in our corporate DNS.

best regards

Marc
Old 12-22-2006, 05:09 PM

Hello Marc,

I can see how this would be a convenient feature. I've added a request to our database for the ability to use an environment variable as the username. We'll post a follow-up message here if this is added in a future version. If you would like to receive e-mail notification should this feature be added, please send a message through the feature request form and reference forum thread 2067.

Thank you!
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 11-19-2014, 04:53 AM

errr, 8 years after someone requested an environment variable be used for the username this is still not an option .... sad
Old 11-19-2014, 09:42 AM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
errr, 8 years after someone requested an environment variable be used for the username this is still not an option .... sad
Thanks for following up on this. It was just implemented in version 7.3, which can be downloaded from the following web page.

http://vandyke.com/download/securecrt/download.html

In this version, you can specify an environment variable like "%USERNAME%" as the session username.

Maureen

Last edited by Maureen; 11-19-2014 at 10:16 AM.