Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Secure Shell

Notices

View Poll Results: How often do you use an X11 Server with S/CRT?
Never 5 31.25%
Monthly 4 25.00%
Weekly 3 18.75%
Daily 1 6.25%
All the time 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2004, 04:02 PM
VanDyke Project Manager

X11 Server Use

I personally use an X11 Server almost everytime I use SecureCRT, how often do you use an X11 Server?

--Robert

Last edited by res; 07-22-2004 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:03 AM

*veeeeeeeeeery* rarly..
Old 02-14-2005, 02:47 PM

I came from a strong Unix background, so I used to live and bring X Windows every single day.

These days, a PC running Windows is more or less required by every business environment, and running X11 on top of Windows is often unsatisfying.

However, I have found that SecureCRT is the great unifier. It runs natively in Windows, but acts so much like an xterm that I don't notice the difference anymore. I have even modified my X environment to emulate more of CRT's hotkeys because I like them so much.

I wonder, though, about this poll. Is it posted because someone is wondering if the X11 Forwarding option should be kept around? I think that feature would be too important to remove. It doesn't seem like a feature that is at all difficult to maintain.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Weekend Programmer and CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFox
I came from a strong Unix background, so I used to live and bring X Windows every single day.

These days, a PC running Windows is more or less required by every business environment, and running X11 on top of Windows is often unsatisfying.

However, I have found that SecureCRT is the great unifier. It runs natively in Windows, but acts so much like an xterm that I don't notice the difference anymore. I have even modified my X environment to emulate more of CRT's hotkeys because I like them so much.

I wonder, though, about this poll. Is it posted because someone is wondering if the X11 Forwarding option should be kept around? I think that feature would be too important to remove. It doesn't seem like a feature that is at all difficult to maintain.
I believe one of our developers posted it out of curiosity how many folks used the feature.

We have no plans to remove this feature.

--Jeff
Old 02-24-2005, 04:52 AM

I use SecureCRT and X11-Tunneling all the time. I'm a UNIX admin forced to use a Windows desktop at work. Generally I avoid GUI's for the wart-hiding nuissances that they are, however my work has one rather old but important piece of software that is pretty much GUI-only and it's X11-based. The UNIX admin group gets daily requests to deal with this software... and since I'm not gonna make X connections without an SSH-tunnel, SCRT's X11-tunneling is one of my best friends. I could have probably used Entunnel, but SCRT also allows me to have an SSH-secured, flawless, VT100 terminal emulator to do all of the other tasks that I need to accomplish throughout the day.

Personally, I also get a kick out of displaying back a CDE Xsession and having people walk up while I'm working. They see MS Outlook and a CDE toolbar and this obviously X-based application and they get *really* confused.

--phess