Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 07-17-2017, 08:53 AM

Where is RegEx coloring for Linux ?

Hey guys. I am aware that regex coloring is not avaiable for linux. (Mac and Windows Only). The main reason i bought securecrt was because it made my life easier when working with CISCO devices, because the colors give me immediate glance at things like interface down and ip addresses.

The SecureCRT dev said that its on his plans to add it to linux. But it has been almost 1 year.

any updates on that? Please!!?

I have even tried to run the SecureCRT windows version on linux, using wine. the colors work, but many other things dont.

can we please get this? =(
Old 07-17-2017, 10:40 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi yurividal,

Thanks for letting us know of your desire to have regular expression keyword highlighting made available in SecureCRT for Linux.

We haven't implemented this feature there yet, but it's still something we're hoping to do. I'll let the product manager know that you're interested in the feature, and we'll be sure to post here if/when it becomes available.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 01-18-2019, 07:38 AM

Hi,
i recently upgraded SecureCRT from version 7.3 to 8.5 for linux.
I'm trying to activate the colors but the regular expression keyword highlighting do not work, are there any news?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2019, 07:44 AM

Hi glx,

Sorry, no, it's still a feature request.

Feature requests are typically prioritized based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, the number of requests and the amount of implementation work required.

We have received requests for this feature, but it has not yet become a top priority for implementation.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by bgagnon; 01-18-2019 at 07:45 AM. Reason: unwrapped
Old 02-14-2019, 01:52 PM

I would also like to jump in on this request. Do I need to also submit a feature request to up the priority on the RegEx coloring for Linux? This is something that sets SecureCRT apart from any other free terminal client on Linux. Network engineers are more and more commonly using Linux on their management PCs this would be a great feature and probably lead to more purchases for your company.

Thank you,

Joe
Old 02-14-2019, 02:09 PM

Hi Joe,

Nothing further is necessary unless you want to. As noted below, the request has been captured. We will post here if implemented.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #12754" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 02-20-2019, 06:58 PM

I've been waiting patiently for VanDyke to implement this feature request. I really don't understand why this can't get prioritized after years in the queue.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zab View Post
I've been waiting patiently for VanDyke to implement this feature request. I really don't understand why this can't get prioritized after years in the queue.
Library support for regular expressions hasn't been consistently available for all of the Linux/Mac platforms on which we've historically supported SecureCRT.

We are revisiting what regular expression support is now available for our currently supported Linux/Mac platforms, so we may be able to implement regular expression keyword highlighting in the next major release of SecureCRT.

Are you on the Ubuntu 16 platform? And do you plan to continue to be on this platform for a while yet?

If a pre-release version of SecureCRT becomes available with support for regular expression keyword highlighting, would you be interested in trying it out?

Forum users glx and Foba-Bett, please feel free to chime in with info as to whether you'd be interested in trying out a pre-release version with regex support, and on which supported Linux OS you're running SecureCRT.

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 02-21-2019, 10:17 AM

I'm currently on Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS x86_64. I plan to run on this platform for the foreseeable future.

I would certainly love to help test any pre-releases.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zab View Post
I'm currently on Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS x86_64. I plan to run on this platform for the foreseeable future.

I would certainly love to help test any pre-releases.
Thanks.

We'll keep you posted.

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 02-27-2019, 08:26 AM

Hi all,

Good news! Regular expression support in SecureCRT/Linux has been added to a pre-release build of SecureCRT.

If you would like to try the new build:
  • Please send an email to support@vandyke.com.

• Please reference "RegEx Linux Feature Request" (or similar) in the subject line.

• If not writing us from the email address associated with your VanDyke Software download account, then please include that email address in the body of your email. A download account is how we make pre-releases available to individuals.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730