Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 12-16-2020, 08:51 AM

Button bar issue/question

Hello.
I see the following behavior on SCRT v8.7.3, build 2279, Windows 10.

I would like to know if it's possible to include some sequence in a button's "send string" function that would automatically press the 'Paste' button on the 'Confirm Multi-line Paste' dialog.

Here's the detail, which may not be relevant because of Excel issues.

I have a button:
Code:
cat /var/log/messages |grep \v\r
My frustration is that when selecting text from an Excel cell (Let's say it's an IP address like 192.168.1.23, and pressing the button, I am presented with the 'Confirm Multi-line Paste' dialog, with only the ip address shown. I then press enter or click 'Paste' to send the command to the server.

This is because when selecting an entire cell, Excel includes a <cr>.

If I double click the cell, I can select the IP address, but only by clicking and dragging to select the entire IP address. Double clicking will select only one octet. I see no way to set the word delimiters in Excel, like I can in Notepad++.

I'm just hoping to streamline this a bit. I have close to 1000 IP addresses I need to search logs against, and every single action slows down this process quite a bit.

Thanks for listening.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:43 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Baron,

SecureCRT has a Global Option (under the Terminal category) called Prompt on multi-line paste for n or more newlines, where n is a configurable value. Since the copied excel cell contains a single CR, what is the result if you change the n value to 2?

I also have another suggestion that may work in your situation if you really want to speed things up so they're automated instead of performing single actions on 1,000 devices. We have put together a number of example scripts where SecureCRT calls Excel. If you're familiar with vbscript, modifying the "Reading and Writing" script available on this page may be able to speed up your process significantly, so that the script will read in data from the Excel file, send certain info to that specified connection, and write output straight to the Excel file.
Attached Images
File Type: png Mutiline Paste Edit.PNG (24.4 KB, 136 views)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 12-17-2020, 08:37 AM

Camero

I do not have a number of lines option there on ver 8.7.3
I can temporarily disable it.

Last edited by Baron; 12-17-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:46 AM

If I disable "Prompt on multi-line paste" the grep fails, because the line is terminated by the embedded <cr>.

If I could pass the contents of the clipboard as a script argument in a button, then that would work because I could 'chomp' the pasted variable, then 'send' the line without the <cr> in the middle, but the argument field does not accept escaped commands (\r \t \v .. etc)

I may end up using a script.

Thanks for your time.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:54 AM

Hi Baron,

My apologies! The option to configure the number of lines on a multi-line paste was added in the v9.0 beta!

If you'd like to see whether that option will resolve the issue for you, please navigate to the beta download page and give it a shot!

Or, again, scripting might serve as the better long-term automation option.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 12-21-2020, 01:19 AM

better way

If you add "delete last <CR> option", it will be much better.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:54 AM

Hi Dalhyun,

Thanks for the idea! The ability to delete the last <CR> in a paste operation has been added as a feature request. We will post on this thread if such a feature becomes available in a future release of SecureCRT.

If you prefer direct notification, please send an email to support@vandyke.com, with Feature Request, Forum Thread #14371 as the subject.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730