Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 06-25-2008, 11:16 AM

highliting the command prompt in SSH session?

This may be somewhat of a strange request but I'll give it a try. Let's say I have an appliance with a command prompt that looks like this:

Code:
host03a>
Is there any way to tell SecureCRT that any occurrence of this particular string should be displayed in bold? Or in different color? Sometimes it's hard to separate the prompt from the commands output, this will may it much easier to read the screen.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:50 PM

Hello GKnight,

Currently SecureCRT does not provide a built in ability to make certain strings appear in bold - but there may be a solution you could using ANSI colors depending on the operating system you're connecting to. Before discussing I'd like to let you know that I've added your request to our database so that we can notify you if a future version of SecureCRT does provide the ability to make certain strings appear in bold. If this feature is added and you would like to receive e-mail notification, please fill in this form and refer to forum thread 3019.

What type of operating system are you connecting to?

Do you have an option on the remote operating system to configure your prompt and send ANSI escape sequences?

For example, when I connect to a Unix or Linux host I can configure my prompt and, like you, I find it very useful to make a prompt stand out. I can provide more details if you think it will help you.
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 06-25-2008, 05:55 PM

Unfortunately this is not a regular Unix/Linux host, it's a NetApp appliance which just has a non-customizable command shell, kind of like a Cisco router. So there's not much I can do on the appliance side, but if there was a feature in SecureCRT to highlight a certain character string, that would be a huge help!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:40 PM

Thanks - I see and was afraid you'd say that based on the example prompt you provided. I don't know of any workaround, and I do know there are many reasons you may want an emulator to be able to highlight certain strings. It would be a useful feature.

You're not the first person we've received a request from for the ability to bold or highlight certain strings. This is an important factor for us when we determine what can and should be implemented. As I mentioned, I added your forum post to our request database so that we can follow up if we have something to offer. We'll update this forum thread if bold/highlight string features are added, but please send e-mail or fill in our support form if you'd like an e-mail response if bold/highlight strings is implemented in a future version.

One possible alternative might be to use logging and then use a text editor to mark all occurrences of a particular string. Would this help you, or are you looking for an interactive type of real-time ability to bold certain strings?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
One possible alternative might be to use logging and then use a text editor to mark all occurrences of a particular string. Would this help you, or are you looking for an interactive type of real-time ability to bold certain strings?
No, I need it highlighted in real time to make it easier to read commands' output. I filled out the feature request form and provided a link to this thread, so hopefully this feature will be added.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:35 AM

Thanks GKnight,

We received your feature request form submission. We'll notify you by e-mail as well as post a follow up message if we add this feature in a future version.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:32 AM

Highlight text strings in real time

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
Thanks GKnight,

We received your feature request form submission. We'll notify you by e-mail as well as post a follow up message if we add this feature in a future version.
Hi

I am an dedicated (paying) SecureCRT-user, using the application in my profession for the last 5+ years. The one major drawback of SecureCrt is the lack of ability to in real time highlight a configurable text-string on the screen.

I have requested this feature a few times and I always get the same respons (see above) and then nothing happens.

This is my annual search on the forums hoping to find that the feature is near. Its sad to say that I get as disappointed now as every time before.

SecureCRT is a great application! I would happily pay twice the license cost because of how great it it. But knowing that a feature like this is relative simple to implement it feels a bit disrespectful not paying more attention to feature requests.

I want to know (more specific than the standard-reply above) if the feature is on the roadmap for the next 6-12 months. Otherwise I will probably change to the not-so-good AbsoluteTelnet that has this feature.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this

Br
Jimmy Larsson
Senior Networking Engineer
Cisco CCNA, CCNP, CCSP...
Old 03-16-2009, 01:59 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmbo
Hi

I am an dedicated (paying) SecureCRT-user, using the application in my profession for the last 5+ years. The one major drawback of SecureCrt is the lack of ability to in real time highlight a configurable text-string on the screen.

I have requested this feature a few times and I always get the same respons (see above) and then nothing happens.

This is my annual search on the forums hoping to find that the feature is near. Its sad to say that I get as disappointed now as every time before.

SecureCRT is a great application! I would happily pay twice the license cost because of how great it it. But knowing that a feature like this is relative simple to implement it feels a bit disrespectful not paying more attention to feature requests.

I want to know (more specific than the standard-reply above) if the feature is on the roadmap for the next 6-12 months. Otherwise I will probably change to the not-so-good AbsoluteTelnet that has this feature.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this

Br
Jimmy Larsson
Senior Networking Engineer
Cisco CCNA, CCNP, CCSP...
Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for following up on this. One of the reasons this feature hasn't been implemented to date is because SecureCRT would take a performance hit when this feature was in use. Currently, SecureCRT passes the data from the remote system straight through to the session window. With this feature on, SecureCRT would have to analyze the data before displaying it.

I downloaded AbsoluteTelnet to see how they implemented this feature and I wasn't able to find it. I did find URL syntax highlighting, but I couldn't find configurable keyword highlighting. If you or anyone else knows how to do this, please let me know. I'm especially interested to see if this feature affects AbsoluteTelnet's performance.

Maureen Jett
SecureCRT Product Director
Old 03-16-2009, 03:10 PM

Text highlight in Absolute Telnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen
Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for following up on this. One of the reasons this feature hasn't been implemented to date is because SecureCRT would take a performance hit when this feature was in use. Currently, SecureCRT passes the data from the remote system straight through to the session window. With this feature on, SecureCRT would have to analyze the data before displaying it.

I downloaded AbsoluteTelnet to see how they implemented this feature and I wasn't able to find it. I did find URL syntax highlighting, but I couldn't find configurable keyword highlighting. If you or anyone else knows how to do this, please let me know. I'm especially interested to see if this feature affects AbsoluteTelnet's performance.

Maureen Jett
SecureCRT Product Director
Try to enter a teststring in the top-right field of the Absolute Telnet-window and Youll see that all instances of that string in the scrollback-buffer will turn red, and also all future instances until erasing the string in the search-field.

The solution in Absolute Telnet is not very beautiful. Id prefer if it was possible to
1) configure multiple (2? 5? 10?) strings that would highlight at the same time, with different colors
2) use regular expressions to specify the strings.

If You want to try to implement it i will happily help You with all feedback and/or beta-testing you want. Just let me know.

Ive also attached a picture of a screendump explaining how it looks...

Br Jimmy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg absolutetelnet_dump.JPG (170.0 KB, 630 views)
Old 03-16-2009, 04:58 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Jimmy,

Thanks for the reply and for posting the screenshot. I am able to see the feature in action now. What AbsoluteTelnet has implemented is a much simpler feature than configurable keyword highlighting. We are going to look into how hard it would be to implement highlighting search strings or configurable keyword highlighting, with the latter being the preferred feature. I'll keep you posted.

Maureen
Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Jimmy,

Thanks for the reply and for posting the screenshot. I am able to see the feature in action now. What AbsoluteTelnet has implemented is a much simpler feature than configurable keyword highlighting. We are going to look into how hard it would be to implement highlighting search strings or configurable keyword highlighting, with the latter being the preferred feature. I'll keep you posted.

Maureen
Hello

Any news on this?

br Jimmy
Old 03-30-2009, 10:02 AM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Hello

Any news on this?

br Jimmy
Jimmy,

This feature is under consideration for the next version of SecureCRT. If you would like to be notified directly when we have something that you could try, please send an e-mail to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen
Old 06-18-2009, 01:07 AM

Any news?

Quote:
Jimmy,

This feature is under consideration for the next version of SecureCRT. If you would like to be notified directly when we have something that you could try, please send an e-mail to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen
Hi

Referring to earlier discussions in this thread. Are there any news about the requested feature?

I am currently in a position of having a re-installed computer and just found out that my paid license has expired. The answer to thisquestion will tell if i will
a) pay for an upgrade and continue to use SecureCrt as my primary terminal application
or
b) switch to Absolute Telnet which has this realtime-highlight-feature since long.

Thanks for a quick response.

br Jimmy Larsson
Old 06-18-2009, 10:12 AM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Hi

Referring to earlier discussions in this thread. Are there any news about the requested feature?

I am currently in a position of having a re-installed computer and just found out that my paid license has expired. The answer to thisquestion will tell if i will
a) pay for an upgrade and continue to use SecureCrt as my primary terminal application
or
b) switch to Absolute Telnet which has this realtime-highlight-feature since long.

Thanks for a quick response.

br Jimmy Larsson
Jimmy,

I sent an e-mail response to you. I will post additional information here when we have something ready for general testing.

Maureen
Old 06-19-2009, 06:46 AM

Another solution might be to use socat to make the connection to any remote device, and use the local end connected to a unix/linux box and use your favorite program to perform the syntax highlighting.

This eliminates SecureCRT taking the performance hit, and provides an immediate, all-purpose general solution.