Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 01-08-2021, 04:24 AM

Tiled Windows Arrangement

Hello

Is there any way to change the order of the tiled windows? It seems to be related to how the windows are tabbed - for example if I have 4 separate windows I can rearrange them by dragging them but when I tile the same 4 tabs they appear in random order. How can I fix this to be in the order I want? if I move them when they are tiled to the order that I want them in they do not snap to their positions so it looks clunky.

I see there is an old thread on the forum for this https://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=12540 so perhaps this has been implemented :-)

Thanks

DQ

Last edited by donaghq; 01-08-2021 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:05 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi DQ,

I'm sorry you've had to experience this order-changing behavior associated with SecureCRT window "tiles". It happens to be a buggy side effect of the third party library SecureCRT uses for handling tiled windows. Our team has taken a look at what it might take to either fix the issue and it's not an easy problem to tackle at the moment.

We hope to be able to address this issue in a future version of SecureCRT, and I've added this thread to the bug report so we can update it should a fix become available. If you want direct notification please send an email to support@vandyke.com and reference Forum Thread #14387 in the subject line.

In the meantime, there is a workaround that involves running a script that will reorder the tiles as a "hack" to get them back into a logical non-random ordering. The solution is available here.

I wish I had a better resolution for you on this one, but hopefully the ability to "fix" the randomized ordering with the click of a button (that would run the script mentioned in the posting above) to re-order all tiles into a logical sequence might help alleviate the problem somewhat.

Thanks for your patience as we work to get more reliable behavior in place for the ordering of tiles when the SecureCRT window is resized, minimized/restored.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 01-11-2021, 03:44 AM

tiling SNAP

Thanks Brenda.

It must be hard to solve as it is a known issue for years :-(

I will try the script but it will not help hugely as the ideal is to be able to order them as I wish and for them to snap into place. This will allow me to look at several devices in several locations at once (ordering is very important)

Edit: A useful feature would be the ability to highlight 2 windows side by side and choose to view them full screen (say if there were 10 open at one time)

Edit: I ran the script and it works but what is it doing please - how is it ordering the tabs and can this be changed
Code:
    nCurState = crt.Window.State
    nActiveTab = crt.GetActiveTab().Index
    For nIndex = crt.GetTabCount() to 1 step -1
        On Error Resume Next
        crt.GetTab(nIndex).Activate
        On Error Goto 0
    Next
    crt.Window.Show 2
    crt.Sleep 25
    crt.Window.Show 1
    crt.Sleep 25
    crt.Window.Show nCurState
    crt.Sleep 25
    crt.GetTab(nActiveTab).Activate
DQ

Last edited by cboyack; 01-11-2021 at 08:11 AM. Reason: When specifying scripts or code, please use the [CODE] and [/CODE] tags
Old 01-14-2021, 06:53 AM

tiled window arrangement

Hi Brenda

Did you have a chance to look at this?

Thanks
DQ
Old 01-14-2021, 09:24 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi DQ,

We do not receive notifications when you edit a post. It is best if you make a new post.

Quote:
Edit: A useful feature would be the ability to highlight 2 windows side by side and choose to view them full screen (say if there were 10 open at one time)
I have created a feature request on your behalf in our product enhancement database for the ability to Send To Full-Screen selected tabs or tiles. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include Feature Request - Forum Thread #14387 in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

Have you checked out tab groups?

Quote:
Edit: I ran the script and it works but what is it doing please - how is it ordering the tabs and can this be changed
The script iterates over all tiles from last to first (reverse order from the order the tiles were opened). It then minimizes the SecureCRT window. The script then restores the SecureCRT window to its original state (captured at the beginning of the script). Then it activates the tile that was active when the script was launched.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by bgagnon; 01-14-2021 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Added URL for tab group video
Old 01-15-2021, 02:29 AM

Thank You Brenda :-)

Thank You Brenda :-)