Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > File Transfer

Old 07-28-2004, 09:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to timgrav
Question Vcp

This might be a simple question, but go easy on me, it's my first time.

Can somebody please post the proper syntax for using vcp?

I need to transfer files from my Winblows machine (family is scared of *nix, but i'm working on it) to a voip server using ssh2.

I keep getting different error msgs, but they are kind of vague as to what the problem is.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tg
Old 07-28-2004, 02:33 PM
VanDyke Quality Assurance

When called with no arguments, vcp will issue a usage message which should give you some information about its syntax. In the SecureCRT help, under the section "Secure Connections / Using VCP", some additional usage information is given.

Typically, to transfer the file C:\Temp\myFile.txt to the home directory of a user called myunixusername on a remote Un*x server, I would do something along the lines of the following:

Code:
c:\Program Files\SecureCRT\vcp.exe c:\Temp\myFile.txt -l myunixusername myunixhost:.
Does this help ?

If you post the exact vcp command-line you are using and the error messages you're getting, we should be able to provide additional assistance. Also, you can add "-v -v" to your vcp command to get verbose connection information, which may help.

VCP has been the subject of a few of our various "Tips", which can be found here:

http://www1.vandyke.com/support/tips/index.html

Finally, you may also want to take a look at the system logs on the remote where the OpenSSH server is running (if you have appropriate access), as there may be some useful information about your connection attempts to be found there.

Hope this helps. Please post with any additional details you might have.

~JcJ

Last edited by jcj; 07-29-2004 at 01:45 PM.