Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Secure Shell

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 PM

cloning session problem

I'm having the following issue in SecureCRT 6.5. I've been using 5.x for quite some time and never had this issue, this appears to be related to 6.x. Let's say I open an SSH session and clone it a couple of times. Then I leave the sessions connected for a few days (let's say a week). During that time period, I can continue cloning the sessions with no problem (either the original tab or any of the cloned tabs). All the SSH sessions are to the same server. However, at some point, after a week or so, cloning stops working, for all previously mentioned tabs. When trying to clone a session, I get the following error:

Code:
Could not open terminal session channel.  Reason: Opening the channel was administratively prohibited.
 Server error details:     open failed
The workaround is to open a new session to the same server, then I will be able to clone it as many times as I want. But not the older sessions. Does it make any sense?

This is getting rather annoying, as I normally SSH to a "master" server and then connect to the other servers. I clone my master session whenever I need to log in to another server. But when cloning stops working, I can't do it anymore, so I open a new "master" session that I will be able to clone (and I have to remember which tabs are "clone-able" now and which ones are not.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:44 PM

Hello GKnight,

I can see how this problem would be a little confusing and problematic for you after it occurs. The only way to remain organized

Would you be willing to enable trace options for the window and leave it running until the problem happens again?

It's often useful to see "trace options" output which provides debugging information that may help us better understand the problem.

Before the problem occurs, are you certain that you're connected when you try to clone the tab?

After the problem occurs, can you still run commands in tabs even though you can't clone the tab(s)?
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 04-01-2010, 01:53 PM

Yes, all the tabs are connected and perfectly functional except I'm unable to clone them.

Will the "trace options" be effective for the cloned tabs? I can enable it now and try to clone a tab (which will fail), not sure if this will be helpful.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:59 PM

Just tried enabling "trace options" for the tab that I can't clone:

Code:
[LOCAL] : Stream has closed [CLOSE_TYPE_NONSPECIFIC] : Could not open terminal session channel.  Reason: Opening the channel was administratively prohibited.
[LOCAL] : SEND[10]: SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_OPEN('session')

Could not open terminal session channel.  Reason: Opening the channel was administratively prohibited.
I also have the trace options output for the new session that I opened and successfully cloned. Let me know if you want to see that output.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:11 PM

To quickly replicate the problem (without waiting one week) you should be able to open a completely new window and session, clone the session 9 times, then on the 10th one see the error. This happens when connecting to older OpenSSH servers which only allow up to 10 connections per channel. Current versions of sshd should have a MAX_SESSIONS setting you can modify to control this number. You can read more about MAX_SESSIONS and the problem you are experiencing.

Last edited by miked; 04-01-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:59 PM

I was able to reproduce the problem - so it's a 10-session issue! Thanks for your help. I guess it takes me about a week to go through 10 sessions

I'm wondering why I never saw this issue with 5.5. Perhaps the sshd configuration was changed around the time I upgraded SecureCRT. What a coincidence
Old 04-01-2010, 05:14 PM

GKnight, glad to hear you saw the same results. It is quite a coincidence. Hopefully the server can be upgraded and the setting modified!