Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 05-07-2019, 10:27 AM

Shared sessions profiles and grouping tabs

Hello.
There are a few questions about sharing session profiles and grouping tabs:
1. We would like to share session profile files between our engineers. The only important configuration that shouldn't be changed are: protocol, port, emulation terminal, color scheme and some small check-boxes. Any other values could be changed by engineers as they prefer to work with devices (logging, bells, keymapping, authorization process, using of scripts, folders for SFTP/Z/Y/Xmodem and fingerprints, etc.). And change of one engineer shouldn't affect profile of another engineer (as I saw the "storing personal data separately" works only on credential and coloring configuration of the profile. It is not enough for us).
Is it possible to somehow create session files only with important values in it (like S:"Protocol Name"=, S:"Emulation"=, etc.) and if there are no necessary values at the session file -> use values from personal file (if it doesn't exist use values from default personal profile and default profile after this with creating a personal profile)?
If there is no way to do is it possible to request it as a new feature?
2. Is it possible to group tabs based on device group? I mean if device session has been added to different group it could look like this:
Old 05-07-2019, 12:22 PM

Hi Genluck,

Unfortunately, SecureCRT does not support either of these features at this time. However, I have recorded these ideas in our database of SecureCRT feature requests. The product director can evaluate them for possible inclusion in a future release.

Our feature requests are typically prioritized based on a number of factors, such as the number of requests, the amount of implementation work required, business value, and so on. While I can't guarantee these feature will be implemented, if a version of SecureCRT with this functionality ever does become available, we'll post here to let you know.

Regarding the second request, if I understand correctly, that is essentially functioning like a tab group for tabs based on the device, correct? So, in your example, labinsk-fc is the device while the 2 "SSH2" sessions underneath it are sessions related to that?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-08-2019, 02:18 AM

Hello, jpellegrini.
Thanks a lot for your answer.
Quote:
Unfortunately, SecureCRT does not support either of these features at this time.
Ok, got it. Then we would search for workaround solution.
Quote:
Our feature requests are typically prioritized based on a number of factors, such as the number of requests, the amount of implementation work required, business value, and so on. While I can't guarantee these feature will be implemented, if a version of SecureCRT with this functionality ever does become available, we'll post here to let you know.
I could understand it. I hope it would be added someday at the future. I really like to use SecureCRT at the work.
Quote:
Regarding the second request, if I understand correctly, that is essentially functioning like a tab group for tabs based on the device, correct? So, in your example, labinsk-fc is the device while the 2 "SSH2" sessions underneath it are sessions related to that?
Yes, it is close to tab grouping. It is an additional tabs line with groups of sessions tab. I took the example from mRemoteNG application. There session manager is storing group name at each session configuration. And if there 2 different groups it creates an additional line with tabs with groups names. It helps a lot when working with more then 20 devices at the same time (tabs are grouping at different groups and each new session is opening in it's own tab group by default).
Old 05-08-2019, 04:16 AM

Hello, jpellegrini.
Thanks a lot for your answer.
Quote:
Unfortunately, SecureCRT does not support either of these features at this time.
Quote:
I could understand it. I hope it would be added someday at the future. I really like to use SecureCRT at the work.
Quote:
Yes, it is close to tab grouping. It is an additional tabs line with groups of sessions tab. I took the example from mRemoteNG application. There session manager is storing group name at each session configuration. And if there 2 different groups it creates an additional line with tabs with groups names. It helps a lot when working with more then 20 devices at the same time (tabs are grouping at different groups and each new session is opening in it's own tab group by default).
Old 05-08-2019, 03:29 PM

Hi Genluck,

Quote:
If you find anything that works for you related to SecureCRT, would you be so kind as to post it here so that others can learn from your findings?

Quote:
Thanks! That is always good to hear.

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification. I've added the feature request for this to our database, and again, we will post here if/when this gets implemented.

Thanks!

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730