Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 06-11-2013, 01:38 PM

Bastion / SSH Gateway Configurations

I'm using the evaulation for SecureCRT on Linux and absolutely love it and am almost ready to purchase my license. I'm wondering how to achieve one small thing though and it may be a sticking point.

Right now (without SecureCRT), I connect to my destination SSH server by first connecting to a "gateway" server over SSH. Then THAT server makes the connection to my destination. This is achieved with just a few config lines.

Here is exactly what I do, and I'm wondering how I could achieve it with SecureCRT. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

http://backdrift.org/transparent-proxy-with-ssh
Old 06-11-2013, 02:03 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi SajanP,

Thanks for your interest in SecureCRT. For accessing hosts behind jump hosts (bastion hosts), SecureCRT 7.1 and newer offers a dependent session capability. The dependent session capability automates the SSH local forwarding functionality that has always been available. Here is a good write up on how to use dependent sessions:
http://forums.vandyke.com/showpost.p...54&postcount=7
SecureCRT does not currently support the OpenSSH ProxyCommand. I have created a feature request in our SecureCRT enhancement database to add this type of capability. Should a future release of SecureCRT have this feature, we will post to this forum thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730

Last edited by rtb; 06-11-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:56 PM

Wow, thanks for that link Todd! I think you edited your answer after initially saying it wasn't possible. Luckily you did and I came back! I went from letting the trial run you to buying it on the spot.

Spectacular software, best available for Linux systems. Hopefully you continue to support SecureCRT on Linux.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:55 AM

You are welcome SajanP. I am glad that I had second thoughts about modifying my post, and that it was helpful to you in accomplishing your goal.

We will still post to this thread if we add support for the OpenSSH ProxyCommand used as an alternative to SSH port forwarding.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 01-18-2019, 02:02 AM

I appriciate this is a response to a post from a long time ago, but I was wondering Has the ProxyCommand been implemented yet? I really need that functionality.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:26 AM

Hi rich@slyone.org,

No, it has not.

Feature requests are typically prioritized based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, the number of requests and the amount of implementation work required. We have received requests for this feature, but it has not yet become a top priority for implementation.

What are you trying to accomplish? Perhaps there are alternatives the community can suggest.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 04-09-2020, 04:24 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich@slyone.org View Post
I appriciate this is a response to a post from a long time ago, but I was wondering Has the ProxyCommand been implemented yet? I really need that functionality.
Proxy Command has been implemented in SecureCRT 8.7 for Windows, which can be downloaded here:

https://www.vandyke.com/cgi-bin/rele...duct=securecrt

It can be configured in the Global Options dialog in the Firewall category.

Maureen