Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 12-26-2019, 11:41 PM

RDP Launching from SecureCRT Session List

To be clear upfront, I am not in any way talking about SecureCRT managing RDP session windows - other products do that, and it's a lot of work for questionable value.

But...

Since converting, SecureCRT has become pretty much my defacto session manager of all remote systems, which are 90% linux(ish). They are organized into folders, then subfolders for each project, each project having 10 or so machines, it's searchable, it's great, couldn't be happier.

Some projects, they have a couple of windows systems mixed in. And it would be spectacular if there was a SessionType of RDP, allowed some command line paramaters (which securecrt would not be responsable for understanding), which just launched mstsc.exe with paramaters and ignored the results. Fire and forget, all I suggest is the ability to launch it as an arbitrary thing from session manager.

So, this post is part feature request(maybe specific to mstsc, maybe just an arbitrary 'launch app' session type where you pick the target exe) for a new feature.

I also include it as a feature request to the local shell function, because it's 'almost' there. I can write a win32 console application that does what I want, and point SecureCRT at it. It would launch mstsc, then close. What's missing, is the ability to pass command line paramaters to the SecureCRT local shell. We can select an arbitrary executable (as long as it's a win32 console application), we just can't pass it arbitrary paramaters. So I can't write mstscbridge.exe, and pass it a target hostname. Or forget the bridge, if I could specify arbitrary command line parms for the invocation of cmd.exe, I could add "/C mstsc.exe /v:somewhere".

But for anyone else who wants to abuse the Local Shell feature into something other than intended, you can actually poke the existing local console into doing what I want, and this may be usefull to others for other purposes.

New Session ->
Local Shell->
point it at cmd.exe (the default) ->
Logon Actions ->
Automate Logon ->
Expect ">" ->
Send "mstsc.exe /v:targetserver && exit"
And make sure close on disconnect is set. Or at least, that reconnect is not selected, otherwise you're going to get a lot of RDP session.

End result, a session that when clicked flashes a tab, then launches RDP into the target server. Kinda a pain to set up, but it works beautifully.

(Hence the 'maybe it would be nice if there was a cleaner way to do this' beginning of this post)
Old 12-27-2019, 11:10 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi kdmorse,

Sorry, but I am confused as to what the actual feature request is.

First, what version of SecureCRT are you using?

You write that you are not looking to manage RDP connections in SecureCRT, but then the repeated references to mstsc.exe make me think you are trying to launch RDP. Is that correct?

If so, have you seen Jake's workaround here?

You can map a button or key to launch an application and this does include arguments.

Or are you referring to use of cmd.exe *only* as a local shell?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 12-27-2019, 12:01 PM

Hi kdmorse,

I think I captured at least part of your feature request here.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database for the ability to pass command line arguments to local shell process. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include Feature Request - Forum Thread #14024 in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 01-02-2020, 08:00 AM

Deleted by moderators in error

Previously posted by falio:

I have tested launching "auto connect" SecureCRT sessions with the following basic commandline parameters which does open a new Secure CRT window. (instead of the preferred new tab)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730