Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Scripting

Old 09-02-2015, 09:40 AM

ActivePerl vs VBScript

I recently created an automation tool for network health checks. I found that, while VBScript is easy and does the job nicely (since it's very similar to Excel macros and MS Visual Basic), its integration with secureCRT from the debugging perspective is a nightmare. I had to copy certain VBScript codes/modules into the MS Visual Basics debugger, debug there. Once working I copy it back to my secureCRT's script. Problem is that, of course, certain MS VB commands/classes don't work in VBScript environment. Thus, when I execute the VBScript in secureCRT and run into run-time errors, the error message popped up and told me line xzy causing the issue, yet that xyz line isn't exactly the place. So, I had to use a bunch of msgbox to print out values and for troubleshooting. What a nightmare and unproductive.

Can you recommend a nice VBScript debugger that works well with secureCRT environment? Something that allows me to do line-per-line debugging, step into a function, see parameter values, like MS Visual Basic, would be awesome.

What about ActivePerl vs VBScript? Would activeperl be better from debugging intergration with secureCRT perspective?

Much thanks in advance for your feedbacks.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:03 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi etalkishere,

Thanks for the post. I have created a feature request to add a VBScript debugger to SecureCRT. If we do so in the future, we will post to this thread.

Since SecureCRT doesn't expose an object, I am not sure that there will ever be a really good external debugging solution.

We have used Visual Studio to successfully debug VBScripts in SecureCRT. You have to have Visual Studio installed, and make sure that JITDebug is set to "1" in the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script\Settings
We have not discovered any way to perform debugging using ActivePerl.

If you are writing scripts complicated enough to require debugging, perhaps you could use a COM object that we offer called VRALib (included in ClientPack) which could be integrated into your own .NET application which you could use Visual Studio to debug.

Is this something you would be interested in pursuing?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730

Last edited by rtb; 09-03-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:56 PM

Thanks Todd. I am actually not a SW engineer, although I used to, long long time ago to start off my career. So, i will have to understand more of what you mean, especially on the Visual Studio option.

Are there past threads on the items you mentioned, with regard to debug integration with secureCRT? If so, please share.

Thanks.

PN
Old 09-03-2015, 10:05 AM

Hi PN,

I am not aware of any threads that discuss using Visual Studio to accomplish your debugging goal.

I am not sure what else there is to explain. The process to use Visual Studio to debug scripts is as simple as using the following steps:
  • Install Visual Studio
  • Make the registry change mentioned previously
  • Run a script in SecureCRT that has a problem
You should be asked to debug the script in Visual Studio if the script has an error.

If the script is just not doing what you expect, then you would need to add the "stop" keyword to your script. This could be added at the beginning or near the code that you think is failing. When you run the script, you should be prompted to debug the script in Visual Studio.

Does this help to clarify?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 09-03-2015, 03:17 PM

That helps alot. Much thanks!
Old 09-03-2015, 05:18 PM

You are welcome. I am glad I could help.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730