Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Old 11-05-2013, 10:19 AM

Mavericks: Very slow scrolling

I find that since I updated to Mavericks, scrolling speed in SecureCRT -- Version 7.1.2 (build 316) -- is unusably slow, especially in the editor vim. For example, with syntax highlighting enabled, scrolling down one line at a time takes about 7 to 8 seconds to scroll 68 lines.

Anyone else notice issues, or have tips?

Turning off syntax highlighting helps a bit (down to 5 seconds), but even here it is unreasonable.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:36 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hello MrC,

Mavericks is not yet an officially supported operating system. We will post here when our development team has completed testing on Mavericks and deems it officially supported.

Although we do not know the cause, a similar issue when using vi/vim was recently reported and the user resolved it by reinstalling the OS.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-05-2013, 10:44 AM

Reinstalling the OS isn't going to happen, and this type of blind thrashing is not productive on this platform.

I am very surprised at the Mavericks isn't officially supported response. Kinda makes me believe the Mac platform is an afterthought.

Honestly, since it is time to renew licenses, it is probably time for me to start looking at other alternatives. Development and new features at VanDyke have been glacially slow for years. I've been with you folks for at least a decade.

(I don't mean this to sound threatening or hostile - just need to get my job done).
Old 11-05-2013, 03:07 PM
VanDyke Product Director

I'm sorry that you are seeing some problems with SecureCRT on Mavericks. Unfortunately, the developer of a third-party library that we use on the Mac has not yet released a version of the library with Mavericks support. As soon as they release it, we will start building against it and do our own testing to see if there are issues that need to be addressed. We will post something here when a version of SecureCRT with Mavericks support is available.

In the meantime, you may see better behavior with SecureCRT 7.2, which is in beta and can be downloaded from the following web page.

http://www.vandyke.com/download/securefx/beta.html

Maureen
Old 11-13-2013, 09:15 AM

Hello MrC,

We had a report that using any On resize configuration in the Terminal / Emulation category of SecureCRT's Session Options except Scale the font resolved the slow scrolling issue for a customer using SecureCRT 7.2 on Mavericks OS.

If your sessions are configured to use Scale the font and you switch to another option, what are the results?

We have asked the development team to investigate this issue. When we have further news, we will post in this thread.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-13-2013, 10:03 AM

There is no difference in any of the modes. See attached movie to see how slow it really is. This is in vim, scrolling down one line at a time (key held down):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0scrolling.mp4
Old 03-20-2014, 09:50 AM

Hello,

We have a new build available that we believe improves the slow scrolling in SecureCRT/Mac installed on Mavericks.

To receive information to download a new build, please send an email to support@vandyke.com and reference "Forum Thread #11264" in the subject line.

If writing from an email address other than the one used to register your VanDyke Software download account, please include the email address used to register.

If you do not have a download account, please include whether you need the integrated or non-integrated installer.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-01-2014, 03:58 PM

Hello all,

See this post for news on official Mavericks OS support.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730