Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 03-14-2012, 09:53 AM

Colorize Filter

By chance, is it possible to colorize text on the fly? Much like our WireShark will auto-colorize packet types based on rules.

It would be lovely if SecureCRT had a robust coloring option to where I could have lines containing "Class-map:" be RED, "Match:" be BLUE, and "offered rate" be GREEN.

The best I've found so far is simple keyword highlighting, which is painfully limited already.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:09 AM

The keyword highlighting is what is currently available, as of SecureCRT 6.7.4. If the server side can send ANSI color codes then there could be an immediate workaround. Future SecureCRT releases may provide color highlighting, and if implemented we'll post a follow up message to this forum thread. If you would also like to receive e-mail notification if implemented, please let us know and refer to forum thread 10350.
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 03-14-2012, 01:49 PM

Any future enhancements would be wonderful. On the fly colorizing would make working with router config much easier. The current keyword highlighting is a pain... it doesn't even support 'phrases' with spaces.

I understand this clearly goes above and beyond what should be expected from a terminal emulator, however doing the above and beyond seems pretty much the norm here.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
On the fly colorizing would make working with router config much easier.
I imagine so. It would probably help many customers with diverse tasks: system monitoring, system administration, anything that would benefit from words jumping off the page to get attention.

Quote:
The current keyword highlighting is a pain... it doesn't even support 'phrases' with spaces.
Highlighting phrases (or being able to use regular expressions, etc.) is a good idea. I've also added your forum posts to a request for the ability to use phrases/spaces. Again, we'll post here if implemented, but if you would like e-mail notification please let us know (and refer to forum thread #10350) .

It sounds like you have an immediate need for something better than what you have right now. Scripting comes to mind. Have you considered using a script to assist in some way, perhaps by writing lines containing critically important keywords to some separate log file?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
It sounds like you have an immediate need for something better than what you have right now. Scripting comes to mind. Have you considered using a script to assist in some way, perhaps by writing lines containing critically important keywords to some separate log file?
Hmmm.. are you saying that with the use of scripts, I can colorize on the fly? I literally spend my entire workday with anywhere from 5 to 10 SSH router/switch sessions open at any given time. That's a whole lot of black text scrolling... and scrolling... and scrolling.

For now, I'm using keywords. So, I have a lot of black text mixed in with the occasional ugly 'reversed video' black text.

I use the Office 2003 SecureCRT theme just so there at least a little color in my day, heh.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 AM

Sorry, I was not trying to suggest that scripts could help make your screen text more colorful. Scripting is not going to give you the ability to colorize the data you see in the SecureCRT window. I was trying to suggest that scripting could help you not miss important data, by writing certain critical data to a separate file for example (which you could then look at in a colorful text editor).

Last edited by miked; 03-15-2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: clarification of first sentence
Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 AM

Maybe Expect will work for you:

http://expect.sourceforge.net/
Old 03-15-2012, 11:28 AM

Nah, it would have to be in real time. Sometimes the needs is a simple as making something pop out when I'm issuing a 'show run' on a switch/router.

If you do ever implement this, I'd be grateful. Having the option to both colorize the individual word as well as the entire line (extra check box?), would be super.

In the mean time, I will just continue my existence in this B&W wall of text world that Cisco calls their CLI.

Color makes people happy.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:48 AM

I suppose by "real time", you mean you want to be able to define the patterns quickly and easily, often after you've seen them.

Expect will do the RE pattern matching/colored text replacement, but you'll have to build up the rules.

Search around - there might even be some rules already.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:54 AM
VanDyke Product Director

The ability to specify colors and regular expressions for keyword highlighting has been added to a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. If you would like to try it, please email me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen