Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Secure Shell

Old 07-12-2011, 09:52 AM

Virtual servers

I have a very large number of servers to manage. Is there a way could create multiple ways of grouping servers without having to create new sessions.
for example:
I have one list of servers grouped by project. I have another list of the same servers listed alphabetically. I have third list of servers listed by type, ( web, application, database )
This results in over 1200 servers being defined in secureCRT. Now instaed of changing a password on on server I have to do it three times,(or recreate the other two groups after a password change )
Having a way re-group servers without re-creating servers would be VERY COOL
Old 07-12-2011, 10:03 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi C0ppert0p,

I agree that this would be very cool. I have created a feature request in our SecureCRT development database to add the ability create links to sessions in the Connect dialog, so that only one session needs to be maintained, but it can be available in different folder structures. Should a future release of SecureCRT have this capability, we will post to this forum thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 07-13-2011, 01:14 PM

Links - too archaic, manual and limited.

Instead use properties (i.e. like keywords), and folders are virtual, based on keywords (eg. projectX, work, home, ProjectY).
Old 07-13-2011, 02:04 PM

Hi MrC,

It seems like you want to be able to run a database like query on the session database (Connect dialog) and save that query as a virtual folder for later use. This query capability would be able to use any session .ini file option as a parameter for the query.

Is this what you are suggesting?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 07-13-2011, 02:17 PM

Although that is an implementation detail, it is the right idea. Why force users to stuff sessions into these single-entity concepts called folders?

Instead, categories just appear as the "folders", and any time you add a new category to a session, it just appears automatically in that category grouping.

Think of how chat programs such as Trillian, Adium, etc. add group contacts under Friends, Family, Colleagues, etc. You don't create "links" to other groupings, rather another keyword is added to the contact and it just appears under the grouping. (eg. Add keyword/property Friend to Joe Bob, and he suddenly is not only one of my Colleagues, but also is now one of my Friends).

The existing implementation of Sessions is tied to the file system and folder structures. But this is an implementation detail, having nothing to do with the UI.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:18 PM

Hi MrC,

Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like you are not particular on how this feature is implemented. You just want the ability to organize sessions based on some sort of keyword system. I have created a feature request in our SecureCRT development database to add this capability. Should a future release of SecureCRT have the ability to organize sessions based on a keyword system, we will post to this forum thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 07-13-2011, 03:26 PM

FYI: this was C0ppert0p's request. My aim was to offer a flexible method of accomplishing it. Perhaps C0ppert0p will continue to comment.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 PM

Thanks MrC.

Does the feature that I created for MrC sound like it is more along the lines of how you would like to accomplish your goal C0ppert0p?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730