Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Secure Shell

Old 04-17-2018, 05:48 AM

Linked session for jumphost breaks on rename/move

I've recently had a reason to use the Dependent Sessions (Jump Host) feature where the jump host session is configured as the firewall value in the destination session entry.

I first configured the entry for the jump host as "jump host" then created a bunch of entries for the destination hosts, setting the "jump host" entry as the Firewall value.

Later I had more jump host entries to add so I renamed the original "jump host" to "jump-HOSTNAME" and moved it to a new folder just for jump hosts. This ended up breaking all of the destination host configurations because they were still pointing to the original "jump host" path and name.

I was able to fix all of the destination entries by doing a bulk edit but I would consider this a bug. SecureCRT should be able to keep track of the linked firewall session even if moved or renamed. Looking at the session INI file, the firewall value is simply a string value of the path/name of the associated session, which isn't updated when that associated session is moved/renamed.

Perhaps instead you could create unique IDs (simple checksum of the PATH\NAME value) for each session as a key and the session path\name as the value, save those in a .ini file at the root of the Config\Sessions folder (__UID-Session__.ini perhaps?) and then change the S:"Firewall Name"=Session:PATH\NAME value in the session .ini to something like S:"Firewall Name"=SessionUID:d34db3ef instead.

Any time a session entry is added/modified/deleted, SecureCRT should update this UID-Session cross-reference list and all linked sessions would be automatically updated.

SecureCRT should also have a self-check routine at startup that verifies or even rebuilds the list in case the user has modified the session INI files/folders directly.

Hopefully this is something your devs will consider and make happen soon.

Thanks for listening.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:45 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Smudge,

I am sorry to hear about what occurred.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to update sessions when dependent session/firewall changes name or location (path). Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #13088" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 10-09-2019, 08:13 PM
VanDyke Product Director

There is a pre-beta version of SecureCRT that updates the sessions when a dependent session/firewall changes name or location (path). If you would be interested in trying it, please send me email at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen