Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 11-29-2016, 12:20 PM

Tab Header Width

The active header is bold, the others aren't. This affects the width of the tab header, which is kinda annoying when switching tabs.

Could the width stay constant?
Some extra padding might be nice too, such that all tab header have the same width like in Chrome.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:45 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Olaf van der Spek,

I have added this thread to the following feature requests in our product enhancement database:
  • Make Minimum Tab Width able to expand tab title text so that tabs can be made larger (standard tab size)

• Add option in SecureCRT to specify the maximum tab width in addition to the minimum (add padding)
Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #12551" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-30-2016, 05:05 AM

Thanks. I'm not looking for options / settings though, I think options take longer to implement.

In browsers all tab headers have the same size, I think this'd be nice in SCRT as well.

Ah, I see there's a min size setting already.. but the default is really low. And it doesn't appear to affect anything.

Last edited by Olaf van der Spek; 11-30-2016 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:58 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Olaf van der Spek,

Quote:
In browsers all tab headers have the same size, I think this'd be nice in SCRT as well.
Yes, that's still a feature request as shown in this other thread where you posted.

I have also added this thread to a feature request in our development database to make new tabs more browser-like. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #12551" in the subject line.

Quote:
Ah, I see there's a min size setting already.. but the default is really low. And it doesn't appear to affect anything.
Your expectation is probably different than how the option is designed. It is configurable, from 20 to 300 pixels, but please see the Dialogs / Global Options Dialog / Terminal/Tabs/Tiling topic in SecureCRT's Help file for an explanation of the design.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-30-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgagnon View Post
Yes, that's still a feature request as shown in this other thread where you posted.
That one isn't really related though..
Quote:
Your expectation is probably different than how the option is designed. It is configurable, from 20 to 300 pixels, but please see the Dialogs / Global Options Dialog / Terminal/Tabs/Tiling topic in SecureCRT's Help file for an explanation of the design.
Wouldn't it be a simple change to always take the specified minimum size into account?
Old 11-30-2016, 04:54 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Olaf,

The active tab width changes because by default a close button gets added to it when it becomes active. If you'd like SecureCRT to behave more like a browser, there's a global INI-file only option that can be set. Here are the instructions:
  1. Open the Global Options dialog and make a note of the Configuration folder (General/Configuration Paths category).
  2. Close SecureCRT.
  3. Go to the folder location from step #1 and open the "Global.INI" file for editing.
  4. Modify the following line as shown below:
    D:"Close Button On Tabs"=00000000
  5. Save the file and restart SecureCRT.
This will place the close button to the right of the tab bar rather than on the active tab.

Maureen
Old 12-01-2016, 05:18 AM

Done already but the width is still changing slightly..

BTW, Chrome has the close button on the tab.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:59 AM
VanDyke Product Director

I just looked at Chrome I see what you're saying about all the tabs being a fixed width and X to close being on the tab.

We are using third-party libraries to help us implement tabbed sessions, so we would need to see what the libraries support.

Maureen
Old 12-12-2017, 11:34 AM
VanDyke Product Director

The ability to configure a specific width for session tabs has been added to a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. If you'd like to try it, please email me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen
Old 02-03-2020, 12:52 PM

Sorry for resuming this old thread but I have seen over the years that the performance of SecureCRT has been capped favoring usability/graphics

Now I appreciate your efforts but really opening 10 ssh tabs nowdays almost locks down the client for a while and this is honestly cutting on one of the features I always liked from your product : to connect quickly to multiple sessions and give out commands to all of them.

Can you somehow put some options to cut on the resizing of tabs and/or a low "quality" options that favors speed?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2020, 03:42 PM
VanDyke Customer Support

Hi giovanni.

Before we make assumption as to what is causing the slowness you are experiencing, we should gather some information about your environment and start on the path of troubleshooting the issue. Because we will probably be asking for information that isn't suited for a public forum, I ask that you send a message to support@vandyke.com.

What is your operating system?

Which version of SecureCRT do you have running on your machine?

When we receive your e-mail message, we can proceed from there.

Thank you.

JJH