VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2005, 07:44 AM

Question Ask before pasting multiple lines ? [Poll]

Hi all,

To how many of you did this happen too that you thought you had one word on the clip board and when you hit shift-insert or ctrl-v etc., you find that you forgot that in the meantime you selected a whole lot of text, overwriting the original clip board contents. And all that text now screws up your terminal session , hopefully it does not contain 'rm -rf' .

Wouldn't it be nice if SecureCRT asked, whether you really want to go ahead pasting all these lines if it is more than one line (or a configurable number of lines) ? But perhaps it is only me who doesn't always have the clip board under control.

Cheers,
Siggy
Old 05-30-2005, 08:17 AM

Not really...

I know that's happened to me more than once, but not often enough that I wished for a speedbump in that particular process. If it were configurable, perhaps I'd use it, but I think I often paste a lot of lines so it might save me once in a blue moon only.

If we're dreaming about ways to fix that, how about two minor changes:
- configurably slow down the paste when there is "a lot" of characters in
response to the paste (ie. when what comes back is significantly larger
than what was sent out)
- change the buffer-filling algorithm for a long paste such that it can be interrupted

The first one might be applicable to more situations where the paste is going badly (pasting binary data) but still seems to not address the problem.

If we're brainstorming, how about this -- have an option that long pastes (regardless of number of lines) are sent with a decreasing-delay algorithm, x-bytes at a time. If that option is selected, and a bell or visual bell terminal command is received as a result of the paste, pop up a confirmation with go-ahead-this-time, go-ahead-this-whole-paste, turn-off-the-option, cancel-the-paste. I suggest the bell command because it's often sent when there's "a problem" and it's well-understood in a termcap context -- though whether it will be used by any particular shell is not guaranteed. This way, short pastes will still be instantaneous, long pastes will be only slightly delayed, but bad pastes can be caught and stopped pretty quickly.

Will it help your "rm -Rf" problem -- probably not. But you won't be pasting a GIF into your shell!

My $0.02.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:56 PM

If a feature like discussed here (whatever it will be) is implemented i hope there will be a checkbox to turn that feature off. I copy/paste a lot and for sure don't want any popup or delay everytime i paste many lines.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:56 AM

I thought of something simple. When the number of lines of the content of the clipboard text data exceeds a configurable number, a popup window appears with an "OK" button and a "Cancel" button. As everyone's mileage or kilometerage varies , of course have the ability to turn this feature off.

For instance I may have sessions where pasting a bit of text is more likely and there I would want to have this turned off. But for other sessions I would want to have this enabled and set to '1'.

Cheers,
Siggy
Old 05-31-2005, 08:46 AM

I also don't want additional popup windows, however, I can see how this could be helpful to some people. What might be useful is if SecureCRT put a section in the status bar that described the current contents of the clipboard (i.e. "EMPTY", "1 LINE", "235 LINES", etc). This wouldn't prevent you from pasting several lines if you are too lazy to look at the status bar though.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:15 PM
Friend of VShell

I'd never use this. I'd rather they work on other (more important, IMHO) things.

Cheers,
Jason
Old 06-03-2005, 05:33 AM

no need imo
Old 06-03-2005, 11:04 AM

Same here. Where is the [poll]?