VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2005, 01:49 AM

USB Flash Drive and Integration

I've gone through all the steps on the support page for setting up SecureCRT to work on a flash drive. Works a treat. Also used the same framework to setup SecureFX. Pointed them both at the same config file directory, and they both see everything just fine. The only problem is that I cannot launch one from the other the way I can on a desktop system. Is there a command line option, environment variable, or whatnot I could pass that would tell SecureCRT/SecureFX where the other is?

All in all, I love the new tabs, and lovelovelove the integration! If I can get this working, I'll be pretty darned chuffed. I've been a user of Vandyke products for years (I am on my third or fourth set of upgrades now, perhaps even more) and, even though they are expensive compared to the free products, I feel they are well and truly worth it! Add in a flash drive and I am in heaven!

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2005, 04:12 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear that running from a flash drive is mostly working for you.

To integrate the clients on a flash drive, you will need to do the following:

- Copy SecureFX.exe to the SecureCRT install follder.
- Copy FTP.dll and SFTP.dll from SecureFX's "Connection Protocols" folder to SecureCRT's "Connection Protocols" folder.

This should allow the clients to know about each other. Let me know if you have any problems getting this to work.

One advantage this approach has is that it saves some space on your USB drive, because you can delete the SecureFX folder once everything's working (as long as you move your Config folder if that's where it is). However, if you would prefer to be able to do the integration from a command-line switch or .INI file setting and keep SecureCRT and SecureFX in separate folders, let me know and I'll enter a feature request.

Maureen
Old 03-23-2005, 11:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to mdella Send a message via Skype™ to mdella
Still issues with the command line on the USB integration...

Well, I made a few of the changes and followed some of the suggestions that you posted on the USB part and it still insists on copying the Config over to My Folder location. I've gone through all the configuration files and cleaned them up on drive locations and the like...

I added the SecureFX part to the USB, but still have the same issue I had before with the config file. Note that the program works fine, however it actually *does* use the config that it copies over (when I make changes and save, it saves to the copied file, not the one on the USB)...

Anything else I should try?

Marcos

PGP Fingerprint: BDC7 AFFD E94F FA09 C839 9153 F5FF E128 3094 2B9E
Key ID: 0x30942B9E
Old 03-23-2005, 01:31 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdella
Well, I made a few of the changes and followed some of the suggestions that you posted on the USB part and it still insists on copying the Config over to My Folder location. I've gone through all the configuration files and cleaned them up on drive locations and the like...

I added the SecureFX part to the USB, but still have the same issue I had before with the config file. Note that the program works fine, however it actually *does* use the config that it copies over (when I make changes and save, it saves to the copied file, not the one on the USB)...

Anything else I should try?
Try moving the Config folder from the hard drive to the same location as SecureCRT.exe and SecureFX.exe on the USB drive. The clients should look there first (if you're not using /F on the command line). If that doesn't work, let me know.

Maureen
Old 03-23-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear that running from a flash drive is mostly working for you.

- Copy FTP.dll and SFTP.dll from SecureFX's "Connection Protocols" folder to SecureCRT's "Connection Protocols" folder.

This should allow the clients to know about each other. Let me know if you have any problems getting this to work.

One advantage this approach has is that it saves some space on your USB drive, because you can delete the SecureFX folder once everything's working (as long as you move your Config folder if that's where it is). However, if you would prefer to be able to do the integration from a command-line switch or .INI file setting and keep SecureCRT and SecureFX in separate folders, let me know and I'll enter a feature request.

Maureen
I did this, and they still don't seem to see each other. I do like this method of integration, it certainly will cut down on space usage.

It might also be advantageous to include SecureFX.chm so help works.

Thanks for the effort you guys put into your products!

Jamie
Old 03-23-2005, 05:57 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistwolf
I did this, and they still don't seem to see each other. I do like this method of integration, it certainly will cut down on space usage.
When you bring up the Session Options dialog in either client, can you pick a terminal protocol and a transfer protocol?

Quote:
It might also be advantageous to include SecureFX.chm so help works.
You're absolutely right. Good catch!

Maureen
Old 03-23-2005, 06:19 PM

No, just a connection protocol in SecureCRT, SecureFX lets me pick terminal and file transfer.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:32 PM
VanDyke Product Director

In the Global Options dialog, what are the Configuration folders set to?

Maureen
Old 03-27-2005, 12:20 PM

Things I've tried...

Quote:
Try moving the Config folder from the hard drive to the same location as SecureCRT.exe and SecureFX.exe on the USB drive. The clients should look there first (if you're not using /F on the command line). If that doesn't work, let me know.

Maureen
Well, I am using the /F option (as suggested) in my .bat file and using a shortcut so that the .bat file knows the directory that it is being executed from. Regardless, it *does* find the USB version of the config file, but *insists* on moving a copy of it to my "Documents/mdella/Application...etc" directory.

I've tried a few things and no matter what I do (erase, upgrade, new install, etc) it still copies it over there and starts using that version.

Hmmm. There is another suggestion I got from your tech support group. I'll try that one as well, but I'm not holding my breath at this point :-)

Marcos

Old 03-27-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Maureen
One other question, I'm assuming that you need something like a SecureFX.lic file in that same directory? Is it the same format at the SecureCRT file? I hadn't looked at the docs that closely (actually I don't even know where the docs/manual for this are)

Marcos

Old 03-28-2005, 06:33 AM
Friend of VShell

Just additional input...

I copied my installation of the interim build from my PC to my USB drive and all seems to be working well so far. The SecureCRT.lic and SecureFX.lic files are working fine. Both SCRT and SFX are in the SecureCRT directory and are integrating fine. I've called SFX alone and through SCRT. I've run sessions. All seems to be functional.

The only potential problem I've noticed is this: once it has been run once from the USB drive, the config files have the full path, including the drive letter, written to them by SCRT. So my global.ini now has entries such as:
Quote:
S:"SecureCRT EXE Path"=I:\PROGRA~1\VANDYK~1\SECURE~1\SecureCRT.EXE
S:"SecureFX EXE Path"=I:\PROGRA~1\VANDYK~1\SECURE~1\SecureFX.exe
instead of what I had before which did not have the drive letter.

Could this cause potential issues later when I use the drive elsewhere and the drive letter isn't the same?

Cheers,
Jason