Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 06-13-2005, 09:35 AM

Dragging tabs to the desktop

Another nice feature would be to be able to drag a tab and drop it on the desktop, which would have the effect of removing the tab from the main CRT window and creating a new independent window matching the removed tab. Dragging tabs between CRT windows would be a logical extension of this, and perhaps if the last tab was dragged onto another window the parent CRT window would be closed. The reason this would be useful to be is because I work on a dual monitor system and I often pull windows to the second monitor so nothing covers it. Dragging a CRT tab to my second monitor would be a very nice feature.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:27 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Thanks for the request. There have been a number of requests for this feature and it is under consideration for a future version of SecureCRT.

Maureen
Old 10-19-2007, 03:59 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfSteele
Another nice feature would be to be able to drag a tab and drop it on the desktop, which would have the effect of removing the tab from the main CRT window and creating a new independent window matching the removed tab. Dragging tabs between CRT windows would be a logical extension of this, and perhaps if the last tab was dragged onto another window the parent CRT window would be closed. The reason this would be useful to be is because I work on a dual monitor system and I often pull windows to the second monitor so nothing covers it. Dragging a CRT tab to my second monitor would be a very nice feature.
This has been implemented in SecureCRT 6.0, which is in pre-beta testing. Currently, the following is supported.
  • Clone a session in a new window.
  • Send a tabbed session to a new window.
  • Drag and drop tabbed sessions between SecureCRT windows.

If you'd like to try it, please send e-mail to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen
Old 05-25-2008, 04:32 PM

Long time user, first time poster

The 'right-click -> Send to new window' context menu entry has been implemented as you correctly stated, but what ManOfSteele was getting at in his original post is specifically the ability to pull/drag tabs out of a window to an empty area of the screen/desktop and have it do the same thing as 'right-click tab -> Send to new window'.

I for one would like to request the same. At the moment, dragging a tab out ends up with a mouse cursor as follows: (\) - like a no smoking sign without the cigarette, indicating the object 'cannot be dragged here'.

It would seem that the code to execute the desired function has already been implemented via the context menu, the feature request is merely to expose a new method for accessing the same function.

Looking forward to your response.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:47 AM
VanDyke Customer Support

Hello eyecue

Thank you for your feature request. I have created an entry
for you in our feature request database. We will post
something here should a version of SecureCRT become
available that would allow you to drag a tab to the desktop
to start a new window instead of having to right click a tab
and send it out to a new window. If you would like to be
informed via e-mail, please send a message to
support@vandyke.com referencing this forum thread.

I'm not a developer, but as I understand it, setting up the
ability to drag a tab to a place where no window exists
introduces some problems. Once a window exists on your
desktop, it's easier to drag sessions between them, but
dragging to a place where there is no window is not as
straight forward.

Thank you

JJH
Old 05-26-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecue
Long time user, first time poster

The 'right-click -> Send to new window' context menu entry has been implemented as you correctly stated, but what ManOfSteele was getting at in his original post is specifically the ability to pull/drag tabs out of a window to an empty area of the screen/desktop and have it do the same thing as 'right-click tab -> Send to new window'.

I for one would like to request the same. At the moment, dragging a tab out ends up with a mouse cursor as follows: (\) - like a no smoking sign without the cigarette, indicating the object 'cannot be dragged here'.

It would seem that the code to execute the desired function has already been implemented via the context menu, the feature request is merely to expose a new method for accessing the same function.

Looking forward to your response.
Another way that is already possible with the current version is to add a shortcut key to "clone in new window" and "send to new window". That way it's just as easy and fast (probably faster) as drag and drop. Could also add that as a toolbar button if you prefer. If you get used to that i'm sure you won't miss the drag and drop

Gan

Last edited by gan; 05-26-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:05 PM

Appreciate the responses, although my first reply was more to clarify the original feature request, having experienced it myself.

The summary is, being able to "transparently" move tabs onto, away from, and around at will is definitely something that needs a coherent design, but is well worth the implementation. In fact, you could probably do away with some of the context menu clutter, and improve the intuitive usability at the same time.

Something like this deserves an API/Interface/Framework for itself so it can apply to multiple Vandyke products. Hell, you could even Open-Source it
Old 05-29-2008, 09:58 AM
VanDyke Customer Support

Hi eyecue.

Thanks for your comments. I have added them to the entry I
created for you in our feature request database.

JJH