Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 05-18-2021, 10:29 AM

SecureCRT - Button Bar Keyboard Shortcuts

I recently moved from XShell to SecureCRT. In XShell, there are quick commands much like the button bar in SecureCRT. I was able to map keyboard shortcuts to each quick command in XShell (i.e. CTRL+F1 would send an "nslookup"). Is there a way to map keyboard shortcuts to each button in SecureCRT? I know there is a "Mapped Keys" option that could do what I need, but the 2 shortcomings from that option is:

- I have to memorize which keyboard shortcut is mapped to the string I send

- Mapped Keys are a "per session" setting, and I have quite a number of sessions, and could easily need to add new quick commands
Old 05-18-2021, 11:25 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi bassistguy,

What version of SecureCRT are you using?

The alternatives presently would be using button bar directly or command manager.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database for the ability to assign hotkeys to buttons on button bar. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include Feature Request - Forum Thread #14531 in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

How many quick commands (buttons) would you say you have configured in XShell?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-18-2021, 12:28 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi bassistguy,

As a note, you can make pretty much any "session level" change globally using Default session.

You can employ the power of editing the Default session to make this change to all of your existing and future sessions. Here are some links to tips and a video that provide more details about using the Default session to make mass changes to multiple sessions:
https://www.vandyke.com/support/tips/defaultset.html
https://www.vandyke.com/support/tips/multisessions.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RbuZn9L48g
Note: In order for a "change" to be applied to all other sessions, the Default session's option/field you're targeting must actually be modified/different from its current value. This means that if the targeted field you want to apply to all other sessions is already set to the value you want, you must first change it to something different (and apply that "change") and then edit the Default session again to set the option to its desired value (and apply that "change").

Since you would be making a change that affects many sessions, the recommendation is to export your config as a backup as a best practice. That can be done from the Tools menu (Export Settings), you would just specify an XML file where the info should be exported.

Additionally an alternative to using the Mapped Keys category of Session Options is to create a .key file. You do still configure that at the session level, so Default session still comes into play. You would enable Select an alternate keyboard emulation in the Terminal / Emulation category (Session Options/Default session) and set the dropdown to Custom and then use the '...' to browse to the .key file you desire to use.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-19-2021, 03:09 PM

Thumbs up

Hi bgagnon, thank you for the reply!

Regarding the the default session, I will give that a try. I appreciate the documentation on that! Also, thank you for adding this thread for a feature request!

I have about 15 quick commands in XShell.

After I posted this yesterday, I came up with a workaround so I can "remember" the quick commands (sorry, still talking XShell language here :-) ).

I created the buttons with the string I'm sending, as well as "F1" or "F2" in the button title. Then I also created "Mapped Keys" in the same order as the buttons. So, as an example, F1 will essentially send the same string that Button 1 is assigned as.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:01 AM

Sorry, forgot to mention version:

9.0.1 (x64 build 2451)