Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:29 AM

Support for 4096 bit long private key

Hello,

Since version 6.7.1 I am experimenting strange behavior from the Agent.

As it is not possible to create private key of 4096 bit I created one with puttygen, then imported it into SecureCrt.

I can use it and log into servers where I placed the public key, but the Agent seems incapable of registering the key.

In the globals options I have set to add the key into the agent as well as "enable openssh agent forwarding".

NowI have two problems :
- Each new session I have to unlock my private key
- As I can't get it loaded into the agent, I can't forward ssh session nor can I use scp on other hosts.

Is there anything I should do otherwise ? Or is it that 4096 bit key are not supported ?

Thank you,

Bruno
Old 07-29-2011, 07:50 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for posting your problem. Currently, SecureCRT does not implement full 4096-bit support. As you have noticed, SecureCRT does not generate keys using this bit length, and the agent doesn't use them either. I have created a feature request to add full 4096-bit support to SecureCRT. We will post to this thread if a future release of SecureCRT does offer this capability.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 07-29-2011, 07:55 AM

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I'll have to revert to my old 2048 bit key then.

It is not a big issue, it is just that we are working for a local governement agency and they have a policy to allow only 4096 bit keys.

I'll have to use putty instead on these machines, but there's not so much of them.

Bruno
Closed Thread