Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Scripting

Old 08-09-2011, 02:51 PM

TCL Scripting Support for SecureCRT 6.7

Hello,

I'm working on automating a number of tasks with TCL scripts on Cisco devices. Specifically, I want to run some TCL scripts from VTY line of an SSH terminal session with just a couple of clicks from SecureCRT.

I'm running into an error when I try to run the script from SecureCRT menu-Script-Run...

The error I get is "Unable to determine script engine from file extension and no '$language' script header found."

I have ActiveState ActiveTcl 8.5.10.0.294993 interpreter installed on my machine, Windows 7 64-bit.

anyone have any luck running TCL scripts from SecureCRT? I have been uploading the tcl scripts to the devices and running them from the device up to this point, but want an option to run them from a terminal session.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:01 PM

Hello 16octets,

SecureCRT can host ActiveX script engines which are registered with the OS. It's my understanding that the ActiveState ActiveTcl does not register a script engine. At this time I do not know of a way to register ActiveTcl, so SecureCRT cannot host the ActiveTcl engine. If you know of a way to register ActiveTcl then it may be possible to run the Tcl scripts through SecureCRT.
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 08-10-2011, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the reply Mike.

Do you know how the TCL script engine works with a MAC/OS X? Is there even a script engine with MACs? Please excuse my ignorance regarding the behaviour of different OSs.

I have been thinking about making the switch to the MAC, and if I can pefrom the TCL scripting functions natively with OS X and securecrt, I just might make the switch.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:26 PM

SecureCRT for Mac uses Python as the scripting language.

I have added your forum posts to our request database so that we can notify you if we add SecureCRT support for other scripting languages on non-Windows platforms (Mac, Linux, etc.). We will post a follow up message if implemented. If implemented and you would like to receive e-mail notification, please let us know and refer to forum thread 8720.

Is there a specific Tcl feature you need, or do you think you could use a different scripting language?
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]