Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 05-23-2017, 02:26 PM

Highlight all copies of a word that's currently selected?

I would like to highlight all copies of a selected word/string within the terminal. Is this possible?

Sublime apparently has a plugin that achieves the behavior I'm referencing.

https://github.com/SublimeText/WordHighlight

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by hooknife; 05-23-2017 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Added more details
Old 05-23-2017, 03:04 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi hooknife,

It sounds like you are referring to the Keyword highlighting feature. This can be configured by navigating to Options > Session Options > Terminal > Appearance.

This option allows you to select (or create) a list of keywords that you want to be highlighted in the terminal window (the entire keyword will be highlighted). To create a new list of keywords, select the New... entry from the drop-down list. This opens the Keyword List Properties dialog where you can assign a name to the new list and add words to it. To edit an existing list, select the name of the list you want to modify and press the Edit button.

Does this help?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-23-2017, 03:15 PM

Thank you for the reply!

Here is how I'm hoping to use the feature I'm requesting help with.

1) Log into a network device (router/switch/firewall/ect..)
2) View the running configuration of the device ("show run" for Cisco). Once you issue this command, the configuration will be displayed on the screen and scrollback.
3) I would like to then take my mouse, highlight a word by double clicking on it, and SecureCRT will automatically highlight every instance of that selected word throughout screen and scrollback.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 05-23-2017, 03:46 PM

Hi hooknife,

Here is a pretty good discussion on Cisco keyword highlighting, with some screen shots from forum community member, Casey.

SecureCRT does not support "dynamic" keyword highlighting.

I have recorded your idea in our database of SecureCRT feature requests so that the product director can evaluate it for possible inclusion in a future release.

Feature requests are typically prioritized based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, the number of requests and the amount of implementation work required.

Should a version of SecureCRT become available with this feature, we will be sure to responds in this post. If you would like to be contacted directly please send an email to Support@VanDyke.com with "Attn: Eric Forum Post 12709" in the subject.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-23-2017, 05:31 PM

hooknife,

With a little bit of setup I think we can get pretty close to the "dynamic" behavior you are looking for.

You would first navigate to Options > Session Options > Terminal Appearance and add a new Keyword name. This can be named whatever you like. You will then add a keyword that you don't expect to ever be matched, something like "Idon'texpecttoevermatchthis". Save and close Session Options. (enable Color/Bold/Reverse video before exiting if you desire)

Now when you want to highlight something, double click to select it and right click choosing Add Keyword, hit OK to add the word. Every instance should now be highlighted. To remove highlighting double click the word, choose Add Keyword, remove it and press OK.

Does that provide the behavior you are looking for?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730