Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Old 09-07-2016, 06:29 PM

Possibly to let lines dynamically wrap when resizing window?

Hello, I just started using SecureCRT on El Capitan. First issue I've run into is that line wrapping seems to be based solely on the window size at the time of the output. This differs from MacOS' "Terminal" program and another console program iTerm that I use. In those, if you resize the window, any previously line wrapped output is resized with it, so, if you run something that outputs very wide content, like a mysql query, ps -efww, or whatever, and you want to see it on one line, you simply drag the window wider and it moves with the window. In SecureCRT, the data remains as it was output, so you have to produce the output again, which may not be desirable depending on the command that had to be run.

Any way to make it resize like those other two consoles?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2016, 09:01 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi ispcolohost,

This is likely a feature request, but I am not sure I have a full picture of your scenario yet.

First, what version of SecureCRT are you using? (I assume the current, official release, but just because you just started using it, that's not necessarily true.)

Would you attach screenshots showing your configuration in the following categories of Session Options?:
  • Terminal / Emulation
  • Terminal / Emulation / Modes
Also a screenshot showing the *desired behavior* in the other applications you mentioned.

Because your forum account is likely still in moderation, you may not be allowed to attach screenshots, so just post some text and I will moderate that post and then for your *next* post, you should be able to include attachments.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-08-2016, 09:17 AM

Thanks Brenda, yep, current version that I downloaded yesterday.

I'll make next post the info with attachments.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:55 AM

Brenda, I made a video capture of my mac desktop showing securecrt's resize behavior vs iterm and MacOS terminal. I included the two screens you were looking for. I put it on a google drive:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...kU&usp=sharing

Wasn't sure what platform you're on so I encoded in mp4 video, quicktime and flash. For some reason, the Google Drive player is resizing it to too small to see in default size, and if you go full screen, it's scaled too much so everything gets blurry, so it probably needs to be downloaded to be played properly.

Alternatively, since corporate policy often doesn't allow downloading random files and playing them, I made screen caps of the screens too and also put those in the drive, which can be viewed online without download. If the images are viewed in order, the explanation of them is as follows:

1) I generated 150 random characters into a file, ran cat against it to spit it out to the screen, which caused it to line break at SecureCRT's boundary. I then resized SecureCRT to wider, and what you see is the original line break point.

2) Resized SecureCRT smaller; original output is now cut off and not visible.

3-5) Settings screens

6) Same output in original sized iterm command window.

7) Window being dragged wider, output follows.

8) Window being dragged wide enough to encompass the entire output, it becomes one line with no wrap.

The video makes it easier to see though.

Thanks!

Last edited by ispcolohost; 09-09-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:01 AM

Just edited post; had linked to the video instead of the drive folder.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:27 AM

Hi ispcolohost,

Is it always just one long string, without spaces, you are concerned with?

And is it always when using a local shell session?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-09-2016, 10:40 AM

It occurs whether local, ssh remote or serial.

The issue is not one string, I was just using a bunch of random characters in a single line file to make for an easy demonstration. There are several instances I can think of where this becomes an undesirable issue:
  • If you run a MySQL query that outputs multiple columns of data and ends up wider than the window causing line wrapping, you cannot widen the window to the point where the columns are formatted properly without re-running the query. In many cases, it may be a problem to run the query again if it involves changing data, etc.
  • If you're using 'cat' to output a file with long lines, similar issue; you cant simply widen the window to see the output without line wrapping.
  • Many commands produce wide output, like 'ps -efww', and it becomes a productivity waster to widen, re-run, go back to typical size until needed again, etc.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:56 AM

Hi ispcolohost,

Understood. Presently, SecureCRT cannot do what is desired.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to add the capability of rewrapping wrapped lines when window is resized. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #12469" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 06-05-2017, 02:12 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Line rewrapping has been implemented in a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. If you'd like to try it, please email me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:32 AM

Hi Maureen, sorry for delay, wanted to let you know that I just installed 8.3.0 beta and it's working fantastic for this feature! Thanks.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:18 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad to hear it's working well for you.

Maureen