VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2005, 09:42 AM
Friend of VShell

B1/B2: SCRT/SFX Integration.

I've been using the integration rather a lot lately... I've noticed two things that I'm not crazy about, one of which could be readily solved and one which is more of a wish.

ONE
When right-clicking on a tab, and selecting "Open SecureFX," it opens a new instance of SFX for that connection, regardless of any pre-existing SFX windows. Given that tabs gives massive resource savings (memory, handles, et cetera) why would I/others want to waste said saved resources by opening up a separate SFX each time we use the integration. Could not SFX check to see if it is running and instead open the connection in the existing SFX instance?

TWO
More an extensive wish list. While the integration is nice, I'm still a bit off-put by the fact that SCRT and SFX connections are inherently separate. If they share preferences/options, and they share profiles, and they can each fire off the other, why not have them share the connections as well? I put this forward in the road map discussions last year, wanting to see SCRT and SFX integrate to the point they can share connection resources. Why create a new connection (and all the client and server side resources involved) to open an SFTP session to a host that already has an SSH channel available for use?

Continuing this logic further, could they not even share windowing/tab code so that they can save even more on resources (quickly switching between tabs of SSH/SFTP/Telnet/FTP sessions)? Again, I raise the example of F-Secure's integrated suite...not because I feel it is the best or easiest implementation, but because it is extremely flexible with a unified interface, and because said flexible unified interface already caused one former employer of mine to choose F-Secure over Van Dyke for all global ssh client deployment. I'm a big proponent of VDS products, have been for years, and would hate to see this occur again...

The SSH protocol (from my limited review) is extremely flexible and F-Secure takes advantage of it by allowing on-the-fly Shell/SFTP/Tunnel creation/deletion on the same control channel established to an individual server. I would love to see the VDS suite of products take advantage of this as well. I'm not saying they should not be available separately, just that with a unified code-base, they could be integrated with a unified GUI, yet still licensed separately if need/desire be.

Cheers,
Jason
Old 03-25-2005, 03:11 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Jason,

Thank you very much for the feedback and suggestions. See responses below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad
I've been using the integration rather a lot lately... I've noticed two things that I'm not crazy about, one of which could be readily solved and one which is more of a wish.

ONE
When right-clicking on a tab, and selecting "Open SecureFX," it opens a new instance of SFX for that connection, regardless of any pre-existing SFX windows. Given that tabs gives massive resource savings (memory, handles, et cetera) why would I/others want to waste said saved resources by opening up a separate SFX each time we use the integration. Could not SFX check to see if it is running and instead open the connection in the existing SFX instance?
Thanks for the request. This is something we are planning to implement in 5.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad
TWO
More an extensive wish list. While the integration is nice, I'm still a bit off-put by the fact that SCRT and SFX connections are inherently separate. If they share preferences/options, and they share profiles, and they can each fire off the other, why not have them share the connections as well? I put this forward in the road map discussions last year, wanting to see SCRT and SFX integrate to the point they can share connection resources. Why create a new connection (and all the client and server side resources involved) to open an SFTP session to a host that already has an SSH channel available for use?
This is something we are planning to look into for SSH2 sessions in a future version of SecureCRT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad
Continuing this logic further, could they not even share windowing/tab code so that they can save even more on resources (quickly switching between tabs of SSH/SFTP/Telnet/FTP sessions)? Again, I raise the example of F-Secure's integrated suite...not because I feel it is the best or easiest implementation, but because it is extremely flexible with a unified interface, and because said flexible unified interface already caused one former employer of mine to choose F-Secure over Van Dyke for all global ssh client deployment. I'm a big proponent of VDS products, have been for years, and would hate to see this occur again...

The SSH protocol (from my limited review) is extremely flexible and F-Secure takes advantage of it by allowing on-the-fly Shell/SFTP/Tunnel creation/deletion on the same control channel established to an individual server. I would love to see the VDS suite of products take advantage of this as well. I'm not saying they should not be available separately, just that with a unified code-base, they could be integrated with a unified GUI, yet still licensed separately if need/desire be.
I want to be sure I understand the request. Are you suggesting that SecureCRT and SecureFX be a single application? Would you want SecureFX sessions to be in tabs? I've thought about this some and think it could work except that it makes drag and drop difficult. I'd be interested in hearing people's ideas on this.

Maureen

Last edited by Maureen; 03-25-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Friend of VShell

Quote:
I want to be sure I understand the request. Are you suggesting that SecureCRT and SecureFX be a single application? Would you want SecureFX sessions to be in tabs? I've thought about this some and think it could work except that it makes drag and drop difficult. I'd be interested in hearing people's ideas on this.
Yes, I do mean make them able to live in the same window, using tabs if that is desired.

I would say that most times, people are dragging and dropping from local/network drives and not from another connection, so drag and drop is no more hindered than copying between two places on the PC.

For those times you want to drag and drop between SFTP/FTP connections, then you could open that session in a separate window.

Cheers,
Jason
Old 03-28-2005, 07:04 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Jason,

Thanks for the reply. We're not sure yet what direction SecureCRT 6.0 will take, but combining SecureCRT and SecureFX's functionality into a single application is one idea that is being considered. I have added your request to our development database.

Maureen