Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > File Transfer

Old 10-03-2005, 08:01 AM

Secure copy from UNIX to Windows

I want to use UNIX scp to copy file from UNIX to my client Windows, where VShell is running. Target directory in Windows located in E: drive (E:\directory1\directory2\directory3).

In UNIX I use
scp sourceFile user@host:targetFile

What is the syntax for the targetFile ? How to include drive letter ?
Old 10-03-2005, 12:47 PM
VanDyke Customer Support

Hi Maple,
Quote:
Originally Posted by maple
I want to use UNIX scp to copy file from UNIX to my client Windows, where VShell is running. Target directory in Windows located in E: drive (E:\directory1\directory2\directory3).

In UNIX I use
scp sourceFile user@host:targetFile

What is the syntax for the targetFile ? How to include drive letter ?
This is a rather complex question. In order to answer it fully, I need to break it down a bit and address the individual components.

Let's start with your questions about VShell.

When you configure VShell, you can configure a set of virtual roots. These roots allow you to abstract away from the use of drive letters, and instead, access them via an alias. If we use your example, we would create an alias called target_dir that points to E:\directory1\directory2\directory3. When you access it from the client, you would use the alias as the target directory:
vcp source_file user@host:/target_dir
This leads us to the next question - the client.

You mention that you are wanting to use the Unix scp command to transfer the file. In order for scp to work, you will need a copy of scp to be installed on the system that is running VShell. At this point, VShell does not include that component.

Since VShell only supports SFTP based file transfers, you will need to use a client that supports his protocol. Examples, on Unix would be vcp, vsftp, scp2, or sftp. Scp will not work in this case.

Because we have had requests in the past for scp support to be added to VShell, we have created a feature request for this ability. If a version oof VShell is released that includes support for scp, we will post a notification in this thread. If you would like to be notified personaly, just send your contact information to me at Support@vandyke.com with a subject line of:
Attn: Shannon re: Forum thread 1064
Thanks,

-bocks