Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 09-30-2005, 09:48 AM

Transparent printing?

I'm trying to get transparent printing working with a SCO Openserver and a VT220 session with CRT. The printer in question is a Zebra bar code printer and the best I can get is having the textual representation of the barcode print out (i.e. "T,45,b,23,44,99,767689997" to pull something out of the air) along with any additional description text. I've tried setting raw to port settings on the windows printer drivers, unsetting the same, setting the similar setting on CRT, etc., etc., etc.

Is there a simple 1-2-3 somewhere on how to make it go? Do I need to configure any special terminal settings for SCO?

NB. On the same pc CrossTalk is installed and using a serial session in it will print fine. I would dearly love to get rid of the serial network on this site, but there is a strong reliance on transparent printing on some of the terminals.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:34 AM
VanDyke Customer Support

Hello martin,
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin
I'm trying to get transparent printing working with a SCO Openserver and a VT220 session with CRT. The printer in question is a Zebra bar code printer and the best I can get is having the textual representation of the barcode print out (i.e. "T,45,b,23,44,99,767689997" to pull something out of the air) along with any additional description text. I've tried setting raw to port settings on the windows printer drivers, unsetting the same, setting the similar setting on CRT, etc., etc., etc.
Is there a simple 1-2-3 somewhere on how to make it go? Do I need to configure any special terminal settings for SCO?
Quote:
On the same pc CrossTalk is installed and using a serial session in it will print fine. I would dearly love to get rid of the serial network on this site, but there is a strong reliance on transparent printing on some of the terminals.
I need to get a some more information from you regarding both the printer, and CRT.

Can you tell me how the printer is connected to the system? Is it serial, parallel, networked?

What is the build and version number of the copy of CRT that you are running? THis information can be found by clicking on Help / About CRT.

Can you tell me what steps you followed to configure CRT to use the Zabra printer?

Thanks,

-bocks

Last edited by bocks; 10-04-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:27 PM

The printer is serial, though it also has a parallel port on it that seems to respond.

The version of CRT is the latest that was available on the website about 3 weeks ago.

The steps to configure the Zebra printer were many, depending on how I was trying to get it to go. I'd have the printer connected to the serial port, try printing raw to the printer, try printing through the windows driver, set the windows driver to print raw, etc. Repeat with parallel connection.

This reminds me: why is it that when I tell it to print to lpt1 it still has the serial settings enabled? That doesn't sound right.

Martin.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:54 PM
VanDyke Customer Support

Hi Martin,
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin
The printer is serial, though it also has a parallel port on it that seems to respond.

The version of CRT is the latest that was available on the website about 3 weeks ago.

The steps to configure the Zebra printer were many, depending on how I was trying to get it to go. I'd have the printer connected to the serial port, try printing raw to the printer, try printing through the windows driver, set the windows driver to print raw, etc. Repeat with parallel connection.

This reminds me: why is it that when I tell it to print to lpt1 it still has the serial settings enabled? That doesn't sound right.

Martin.
The serial settings are retained because they were saved in the session .ini file, but they are not used when the LPT port is being used.

In your Session Options, under both of the categories Terminal / Printing and Terminal / Printing / Advanced, are the options labled "Use global print settings" checked?

If not, try configuring the printer to use the parallel port, and then select the "Direct pass-through printing to port:" option, making sure that the correct port is selected. Do you see the same behavior?

Can you send me a Raw log of this session after these changes are made? This is done by enabling the "Raw log session" option in the File menu prior to connecting to the server.

Also, would you be able to send me a copy of the .ini file for this session?

Rather than post the files here, please send them to me at: Support@vandyke.com with a subject of:
Attn: Shannon re: Forums thread 1058
Thanks,

-bocks