Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 05-10-2021, 12:28 PM

SecureCRT wide characters getting cut off / emojis not displaying correctly

I'm experiencing an issue where wide UTF-8 characters can get cut off. I'm seeing odd behavior where I can highlight the cut off character, and it will show the full character, even after clearing the highlight.

From searching the forums, it seems this was an issue quite a while ago, and was marked as resolved in version 6.

Additionally, I notice that emojis will render only as an outline, and not as the fully colorized emoji that is part of the installed font. Using a different terminal app, I am able to see the characters as I expect.

I am running v9.0.1 (x64 build 2451) on Windows 10 Pro.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wEReucG.jpg (28.1 KB, 236 views)
File Type: png QLMHmQP.png (7.9 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by jdev; 05-10-2021 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Please upload attachments/graphics as documented https://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=14212
Old 05-10-2021, 01:24 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi schwaboy,

Thanks for providing the screenshots!

What emulation are you using? (Options -> Session Options -> Terminal -> Emulation)

What font/font size is configured? (Options -> Session Options -> Terminal -> Appearance)

Is the "Use Unicode graphics characters" setting enabled?

Which terminal emulator is providing you with the expected results? Putty?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-10-2021, 01:33 PM

My apologies, I meant to include this information in my initial post, and forgot. I am using Xterm in True Color mode.

I am using FiraCode Nerd Font Mono with a font size of 10.

I also saw in another thread the suggestion to try disabling ClearType font smoothing. I have tried that and get the same results regardless of the state of that setting.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:37 PM

As a comparison, this is what it looks like in another terminal application on the same machine.

Attached Images
File Type: png 5KW5CRO.png (17.7 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by cboyack; 05-10-2021 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Please see this How-To in order to properly embed images: https://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=14212
Old 05-10-2021, 01:41 PM

I do have "Use Unicode graphics characters" enabled, but I get the same results if I disable that setting. I am using UTF-8 character encoding.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:23 PM

Hi schwaboy,

I have asked our QA/Dev team to take a look into the behavior. It is likely that they will ask me to collect some additional information from you. I will be sure to follow-up with you when I hear back.

What terminal emulator did you use to produce the "working" screenshot?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by berdmann; 05-10-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:14 PM

The other terminal program is "Fluent Terminal" v0.7.5.0
Old 05-11-2021, 12:13 PM

Hi schwaboy,

Our QA/Dev team would like to collect some additional information from you...

They would like to take a look at a raw log that captures the characters/emojis in question.

Can you please attach a raw log that captures the characters that are displayed incorrectly to an email to support@vandyke.com, with **ATTN: Brittney, Forum Thread #14521** in the subject line?

To create a raw log in SecureCRT:
  1. Before connecting with the session, select "Raw Log Session" from SecureCRT's "File" menu.
  2. In the "Select Log File" dialog, choose a folder and filename in which you would like the log text to be stored and press the "Save" button. At this point, you open the "File" menu, you will notice that the "Raw Log Session" menu item now has a check-mark next to it; this indicates that raw logging is activated.
  3. Now connect to the remote machine and perform the actions which cause the reported problem to occur.
  4. Once the problem occurs, disconnect the session and select "Raw Log Session" from the "File" menu to turn off the raw logging feature.
  5. Browse to the location of the raw log file and add the file as an attachment to your email reply.
NOTICE: The requested troubleshooting data may include sensitive information (usernames, passwords, publicly-accessible host names or IP addresses, etc).
Please redact sensitive information that would not be appropriate for email communication prior to sending the requested information. If there is sensitive information that must be conveyed in order to provide a complete picture of the scenario you're facing, please let us know and we will set up a secure upload mechanism that can be used.

Our Dev team would also like to know the exact name of the font family/weight you are using. This font has ~40 variations, some with "Windows Compatible" as part of the name. For example:
Fira Code Regular Nerd Font Complete Mono Windows Compatible.ttf
Fira Code Regular Nerd Font Complete Mono.ttf
Did you install the version available at the following location?
https://www.nerdfonts.com/font-downloads

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-12-2021, 09:00 PM

I have sent an email as requested, including the logs, a screenshot of the font information I'm using (including the exact file name) as well as an md5sum of the font pack I downloaded, so you can be sure you have the same one in your testing.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:46 AM

Hi schwaboy,

Thanks for sending in the requested information! I will follow up with you via email.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-23-2021, 02:57 PM

I have not seen an email reply to this issue. Do you have any updates?
Old 05-24-2021, 08:53 AM

Hi schwaboy,

I do not currently have any updates regarding this particular bug. I will be sure to let you know if/when a fix is implemented.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730