VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2005, 09:50 AM

Lightbulb Suggestions

We just discovered the new beta and I gotta say, its wonderful. We have been using SecureCRT for a long long time and the new beta has some wonderful improvements.

Here are a few comments from a couple of our folks testing the new version:

Double-Click - Close Tab - Would it be possible to add the ability to close a tab? This would be a little more consistent with tab-based browsers.

SFTP Home Directory - Could there be an option to sets the default local directory for a session accessed via the "Connect SFTP Tab". It's a hassle changing out of the SecureCRT directory to a Downloads directory. Also, if you have SecureFX installed, there are options for local directory in SecureCRT global options. It seems counter intuitive that this does not apply to the SFTP session within the SecureCRT tab...

Thanx!
--Will
Old 03-24-2005, 11:37 AM

What OS are you running Firefox on (I'm guessing that's the Tab based browser in question)? As far as I know, it is a single middle click of a Tab which causes it to close, not a double click on the tab. Double cliking the tab bar should cause it to open a new connection (like Firefox), but I've already posted about that.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeader
What OS are you running Firefox on (I'm guessing that's the Tab based browser in question)?
Actually, I am not talking about Firefox specifically. In SlimBrowser it takes a double-click to kill a tab. However, the single middle mouse works as it does in Firefox. I would be cool with that as well...
Old 03-24-2005, 05:43 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by uahitsc
We just discovered the new beta and I gotta say, its wonderful. We have been using SecureCRT for a long long time and the new beta has some wonderful improvements.

Double-Click - Close Tab - Would it be possible to add the ability to close a tab? This would be a little more consistent with tab-based browsers.
We have had several requests for this and are considering adding an option to allow double click to be mapped to Close. I'm not sure if it will make it into 5.0 or if it will happen in 5.1.

Quote:
SFTP Home Directory - Could there be an option to sets the default local directory for a session accessed via the "Connect SFTP Tab". It's a hassle changing out of the SecureCRT directory to a Downloads directory. Also, if you have SecureFX installed, there are options for local directory in SecureCRT global options. It seems counter intuitive that this does not apply to the SFTP session within the SecureCRT tab...
We are planning to add session options for initial local SFTP tab directory and initial remote SFTP tab directory. They are going to be separate from the SecureFX directory settings because although the SecureFX settings could be overloaded to work with the SFTP tabs, not everyone uses both clients.

Thanks for the feedback.

Maureen
Old 03-25-2005, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen
We have had several requests for this and are considering adding an option to allow double click to be mapped to Close. I'm not sure if it will make it into 5.0 or if it will happen in 5.1.

Maureen
Are there really that many users running the beta of SecureCRT using a tabbed browser OTHER than Firefox? Wow. I can't understand why they would be asking for "double-click to close". That isn't the default behavior for Firefox on any platform to my knowledge. Double click to OPEN a new tab is the default though. Closing a tab defaults to a single middle-click on the tab. Please follow those guidelines if you plan on implmenting any "clicking on tabs" features. Double Click to Close could be a potential big problem for Firefox users.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:58 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeader
Are there really that many users running the beta of SecureCRT using a tabbed browser OTHER than Firefox? Wow. I can't understand why they would be asking for "double-click to close". That isn't the default behavior for Firefox on any platform to my knowledge. Double click to OPEN a new tab is the default though. Closing a tab defaults to a single middle-click on the tab. Please follow those guidelines if you plan on implmenting any "clicking on tabs" features. Double Click to Close could be a potential big problem for Firefox users.
I agree that having double clicking close tabs by default could cause problems for some users. If we implement having double clicking on tabs do something (e.g., close, clone, etc.), it will be an option.

Maureen
Old 05-13-2005, 06:27 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:

Support for mapping double-click to Close Tab is available in beta 5. It is found on the Tab page in the Global Options dialog.

Quote:
Support for initial local and remote SFTP directories is available in beta 5. It can be found on the SFTP tab page under SSH2 in the Session Options dialog.

Maureen
Old 05-16-2005, 08:04 AM

Thumbs up

Awesome! Double-click as an option is a great way to implement and works great! I also like the new ability to increase the width of the status indicators of the tabs. Well done!

And thank you for adding the ability to set local SFTP directory.
Thank you SO much!
--Will