Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 06-19-2019, 01:04 PM

Post How to automatically clone a specific session and then ssh to host

I am in a position where I access devices by ssh'ing into a jump box, then I need to ssh into another jump box (only accessible by the first), at which point I can ssh into any devices I need to. In the past, I would setup port forwarding (via the Firewall setting for the session), however the jump boxes I am now using do not have port forwarding enabled. They do, however, have cloning enabled.

So, I would like to setup SecureCRT so when I double click on a session in the session manager, it clones an already open session, then ssh into the 2nd layer jump box, and then finally ssh into the hostname saved in the session. Any thoughts on how to do this? Without being able to do this, I am stuck typing in hostnames (or shortcut names in my ~/.ssh/config file), which isn't ideal.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:10 PM

To add to my request, I am looking for something like this: https://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=13260

but with the ability to clone an already open ssh session, and ssh cloning is the only way I am able to share an existing session.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2019, 02:41 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi dayde,

You can clone a session. You can even clone a session easily with double-click by configuring that as the double-click action in the Terminal / Tabs/Tiling category of Global Options.

However, the part of your objective that has me confused is this:

Quote:
...and then finally ssh into the hostname saved in the session
How is it possible you can have the end target hostname saved as the hostname in the session? That would mean your initial connection is to end target device and not first jumpbox, wouldn't it?

Or are you saying that info would be saved elsewhere in the session? (ie: Description field)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Tags
cloning