Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 11-19-2019, 06:31 AM

Pasting or sending ascii over 50 lines garbles and skips data

Hi,

Like this post: https://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=5502

And this post: https://s2-forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=811

I have problems with pasting in large sets of commands. After line 50 the commands begin to become garbled and only partial lines are sent.

The common answer to the above is that the client can't keep up, but I do not believe that to be the case.

To ensure it's not the client unable to keep up I configure the Advanced settings to not send until the prompt comes back. I also use the Send ASCII option to ensure it's not a local paste buffer issue. Regardless of whether I do this or if I just paste the code in, after about 50 lines the config becomes garbled. I have used SecureCRT for many years and I have always found this to be the case.

I am SSH connected and end clients this occurs on are Ciscos and Palo Altos.

The workaround for this is to put a 1ms delay on the character send - however this slows things down incredibly with so many lines to paste as each line takes 2-3 seconds to write so suddenly a 400 line file takes 20 minutes to upload. There is no smaller delay to apply.

I configure the prompt to wait for 010# (which it does seem to do) and use send ascii to send in a 400 line text file but problems begin at line 50.

Relevant lines of text file that I paste or send via ascii:
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui policies dos-rulebase enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui policies rule-hit-count-reset enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects addresses enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects address-groups enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects regions enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects applications enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects application-groups enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects application-filters enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects services enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects service-groups enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects tags enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects global-protect hip-objects enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects global-protect hip-profiles enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects dynamic-block-lists enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects custom-objects data-patterns enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects custom-objects spyware enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects custom-objects vulnerability enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects custom-objects url-category enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects security-profiles antivirus enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects security-profiles anti-spyware enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects security-profiles vulnerability-protection enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects security-profiles url-filtering enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects security-profiles file-blocking enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects security-profiles wildfire-analysis enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects security-profiles data-filtering enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects security-profiles dos-protection enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects security-profile-groups enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects log-forwarding enable
set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects authentication enable

What happens in the terminal (partial entries and skipped lines):

LA_PAM_04@YLMGP010# set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui policies dos-rulebase enable

[edit]
LA_PAM_04@YLMGP010# set shar

Invalid syntax.
[edit]
LA_PAM_04@YLMGP010# set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects application-groups e
e is not one of <enable|read-only|disable>

Invalid syntax.
[edit]
LA_PAM_04@YLMGP010# set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects services enable

[edit]
LA_PAM_04@YLMGP010# se
Unknown command: se
[edit]
LA_PAM_04@YLMGP010# set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects security-profiles

[edit]
LA_PAM_04@YLMGP010# set shared admin-role read_only role panorama webui objects authentication enable
Old 11-19-2019, 11:29 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi someguy99,

You can be absolutely confident that SecureCRT is sending all of the text in the file and that the remote is echoing back the garbled text. You proved this by increasing your line send delay to 1ms. Increasing the line send delay option allowed your remote device time to process the pasted text and correctly echo it back to SecureCRT.

We have written a script that should improve this interaction for you. Please disable the send delay options that you previously configured and then refer to the following instructions:

1. Download and save our "PasteWithEchoFlowControl" script:
https://forums.vandyke.com/showpost....03&postcount=1
2. Create a button on your Button Bar to run the script.

You can enable the Button Bar from the "View" menu. Right-click on the Button Bar to add a "New Button" and name it accordingly. Please refer to the following configuration example:
3. Once you have successfully saved your button, connect to the remote that you have been testing with. Copy the desired text to your clipboard and then press the button to run the script.

Does the script improve your interaction with the remote host when you paste large amounts of text into the SecureCRT window?
Attached Images
File Type: png PasteWithEchoFlowControl_ButtonExample.png (23.2 KB, 37 views)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by berdmann; 11-19-2019 at 12:00 PM.