Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 05-19-2015, 04:57 AM

Thumbs up

Hi Todd,

are you saying that there are some restrictions within SCRT which prevents REGEX matching with spaces???

I am new to SCRT and banging my head against the wall why
/^.*\bdescription\b.*$/m
didn't highlight the whole line ;-)

My use case it like this:
interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
description pub->core-odd
where I would like to get the whole line colored and not just the boundary word \description\ ;-)

Going through the thread I am asking myself why not just utilize the work already done for EMACS and syntax highlighting? Just allow us to load a EMACS module like cisco-mode.el for CISCO IOS syntax highlighting ;-)

Wolfgang
Old 05-19-2015, 08:15 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Wolfgang,

That is exactly what has been said. It is called keyword highlighting for a reason, and the space character is a delimiter for a word.

In your instance, you could use two keywords with the same color. You could use a regular keyword of "description" and then a regular expression "pub.*odd".

Would this work for you?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 05-19-2015, 11:32 PM

Hi Todd,

sorry no, that will not work as everything right from "description" is different ;-)
Likewise "permit" or "deny" and a lot of other terms...

Wolfgang
Old 05-20-2015, 10:34 AM

Hi Wolfgang,

It sounds like your goal is more complicated than I expected from the example.

We will post to this thread should we add the ability to use keyphrase in addition to keyword highlighting

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 05-22-2015, 01:43 AM

Todd,

maybe it's easier to drill down on why whole line RegEx matching (including white space) isn't working withing SCRT and then we have a solution ;-)
Wolfgang
Old 05-22-2015, 08:30 AM

Hi Wolfgang,

When keyword highlighting was implemented, the space character was used as a word delimiter which cannot be modified. This has not changed since the original implementation even though regular expression support has since been added to expand keyword highlighting functionality.

Whole line regular expression matching is not working because it is not intended to work due to the limitation of the space character being a word delimiter. Regular expressions support was implemented to be used on a word rather than a phrase or line. An IP address is one example of how regular expression support would be useful when limited to a word.

Does this help to clarify?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 05-22-2015, 11:34 AM

Hi Wolfgang,

I wanted to post some additional information. We have had requests to add support for matching phrases in addition to words. We have also had requests to be able to use spaces in regular expressions.

When our developers investigated the feasibility of adding support for spaces, the performance hit was large enough that the SecureCRT product director felt it was unacceptable. As a result, this has not yet been implemented.

The ability to use spaces when configuring keyword highlighting may be added in the future, but our developers will have to find a way to address the performance hit if this is added.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 05-31-2015, 01:39 AM

Hi Todd,
many thanks for the update. Looking forward for your developers to find a cool solution without a performance hit ;-)

Thanks,
Wolfgang
Old 02-15-2017, 10:45 AM

Curious if the implementation of spaces is still being considered for keywords. Here's the issue I'm having.

I have a particular network node with the cell ID of "2", which shows on the telnet screen as "CELL 2" . I have "2" listed in my keywords to highlight any alarms for "CELL 2" , however, there are other data on the screen that often uses "2" - not pertaining to CELL 2, which populates every instance of "2" and defeating the purpose of highlighting only "CELL 2"

If I were able to use the phrase "CELL 2", rather than "2" in the Keyword List Properties box, that would certainly solve the problem.

Does anyone know of a work around to solve this?
Old 02-15-2017, 11:10 AM

Hi houdema,

The feature request to add the ability to handle spaces in regular expressions when used in conjunction with keyword highlighting is still being considered.

I have added an entry for you to the feature request for allowing keyphrase highlighting.

We will post to this thread if we add support for space characters when using regular expressions with keyword highlighting.

If you would like to be notified directly, please send an email to Support@Vandyke.com with ATTN: Eric Forum Post 3019 in the subject.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 12-17-2019, 05:20 PM
VanDyke Product Director

The ability to use spaces in keywords (including regular expressions) has been added to SecureCRT 8.7, which is currently in beta testing. It can be downloaded here.

Maureen

Last edited by bgagnon; 12-18-2019 at 07:29 AM.