Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi smudge,

Thanks for so clearly outlining the behavior you are seeing. The behavior you are seeing is by design. This behavior has not changed in 6.6.

It seems like your ultimate goal is to be able to define a specific color for keywords, and I have created that feature request. Again, we will post to this thread if a future release of SecureCRT has the ability to change the color used to highlight a word.

If my understanding is incorrect, please let me know if you want a different feature request created.

As a note, there is no need to send me your session .ini file.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 02-10-2011, 03:56 PM

The design should use the Bold color from the scheme, not the Normal color because if you don't use the Overstrike Bold option then the keyword text does not show any different than normal text. (see the difference between images 4 and 5 above).

If my feature request doesn't get implemented then at least this bug should be fixed. Here's hoping my (and varanda's original) feature request makes it in a near future version.

Also, I didn't see a mention of it above being added to the request queue, but I'd like to request this keyword matching support Regular Expressions. Not only would this be awesome but it would help with the word boundary issue MrC described above.

and Todd, a special thanks for your attention/support in all this. I understand not all feature requests can be added or that they take a long time but at least you are listening and adding them to your ToDo list. I wish more companies (including mine) would be as nice.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:33 AM

Hi smudge,

Thanks for clarifying your point. I have created a feature request to change the way that SecureCRT handles keyword highlighting when using a color scheme. The behavior you have observed is by design.

I have created a feature request to change this behavior such that when using a Color Scheme, the bold color will be pulled from the Color Scheme rather than just performing an overstrike. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this change in behavior, we will post to this forum thread. Again, you are welcome to request notification by e-mail. Just fill out the form I referenced previously.

I apologize for not being clear. I did create a feature request to add Keyword Highlighting Regular Expression support in post #27. It was your 3rd suggestion.

Thanks for the kind words as well. We try to ensure that all customer support interaction is excellent!

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 AM

Yes I second this feature request.
I imagine it to be great where I can a rich set of what words I can highlight which might include some basic regex's then a wide variety of color options for each one.
I imagine it to be like the screen shot here:

Old 02-18-2011, 12:48 PM

Thanks yumology,

Appreciate the suggestion for regex, and also for the window shot.

I've added your message to our request database. If color keyword highlighting is added in a future release we'll post a follow up message to this forum thread. If implemented and you would like to receive e-mail notification, please let us know and refer to forum thread 3019.
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 04-25-2013, 05:55 PM

I am (again) piling on in this thread - pleasantly surprised to see others are looking for the same thing.

If there is a performance hit, which would shock me, perhaps make it a checkbox based opt-in in the global options so that those of us who want it can have it whereas others don't need to be bothered.

Yumology - wonderful screenshot and I couldn't have done it better myself. That is exactly what my team is looking for.

It seems like a home-run to add this feature (and it's something that is not found elsewhere in other clients). Can someone from VanDyke indicate whether this is on the roadmap at all? Should we give up and look elsewhere?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanda View Post
If there is a performance hit, which would shock me, perhaps make it a checkbox based opt-in in the global options so that those of us who want it can have it whereas others don't need to be bothered.
Sounds good. Also, I see this thread was started in 2009. The performance hit to a 2009 machine would likely be unnoticeable on a modern machine.

I've posted a couple of requests myself. One was for basing the colorization on how Wireshark does it, then later was for a more refined colorization (plus mock up) based on how notepad++ does it. However, if wireshark can do realtime colorization based on every bloody packet that goes across your network card, surely SecureCRT can handle a single terminal session.

I suspect the real delay is in deciding the most robust way to implement it without causing spaghetti code (which they may be fight with already). It needs to be robust, otherwise we end up with the near worthless text highlighting that we have today. It's not a "simple" implementation.. in just reading through the 3 pages of this post, there were multiple suggestions on an 'easy' way to do it.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:47 AM

Hi varanda and Casey,

Thanks for the feedback. Some preliminary investigation has been done and the ability to define colors with keyword highlighting is being considered for the next version of SecureCRT.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 04-26-2013, 10:07 AM

Just so the Dev's know.... I'm not above bribery. I can "accidentally" ship a few cases of beer to HQ if it would help.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:32 AM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Just so the Dev's know.... I'm not above bribery. I can "accidentally" ship a few cases of beer to HQ if it would help.
What kind of beer? All kidding aside, we'll let you know if this feature gets implemented.

Maureen
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 PM

Doubling up on the beer offer!

Thanks Maureen, we appreciate being kept in the loop.

The way I see this being easy to manipulate is if there is a configuration file that has keyword groups, for instance:

#Keyword Group 1
#Keyword Group 2
#Keyword Group 3
#Keyword Group 4
#Keyword Group 5
#Keyword Group 6
#Keyword Group 7
#Keyword Group 8

And then under each keyword group, we place words (or regex strings - more difficult to implement/test) that correspond with said group:

#Keyword Group 1
shutdown

#Keyword Group 2
interface vlan
interface Ethernet
interface FastEthernet
interface GigabitEthernet
interface TenGigabitEthernet

#Keyword Group 3
standby
glbp
channel-group

...and so on. Finally we would define an ANSI color for each group. Now that I think of it though, since we aren't necessarily married to ANSI it could be a #FFFFFF color code too.

This could be via gui in the application itself, or it could be a series of entries in the keyword definition file:

#Keyword Group 1
#Text Fore Color #FF0000
#Text Back Color #000000

#Keyword Group 2
#Text Fore Color #0000FF
#Text Back Color #000000

#Keyword Group 3
#Text Fore Color #12BB31
#Text Back Color #000000

#Keyword Group 4
#Text Fore Color #00FF00
#Text Back Color #000000
Old 05-07-2013, 10:39 AM

Yep.. that's pretty much how Notepad++ does it; with the minor addition of allow for ignoring case and changing fonts. Attached is my color file for notepad++ for reference.

If the color file is a separate file in SecureCRT, it would allow us to share colors between each other (Cisco files, Juniper files, AS400 files, etc)
Attached Files
File Type: txt Notepad++ Cisco XML.txt (8.3 KB, 1086 views)
Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 AM

Re

I also request keyword highlighting.
It should look like the picture above.

See this post for the rest of the original post.

Last edited by bgagnon; 06-10-2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Duplicate information in thread 11064
Old 04-21-2014, 03:12 PM
VanDyke Product Director

The ability to specify colors for keyword highlighting has been implemented in a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. If you would be interested in trying it, please send email to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen
Old 06-09-2014, 11:49 AM
VanDyke Product Director

Support for regular expressions in keyword highlighting has been added to a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. If you would be interested in trying it, please send email to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen