Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > File Transfer

Old 10-07-2019, 05:22 AM

SecureCRT & SecureFX with sudo?

I have been using WinSCP for quite some time now to edit system configuration files on linux servers. I have to connect to my servers with a non-priviledged user which is in a wheel group. I don't need to enter my password again to gain sudo rights.

To do that in one step with WinSCP, I connected to the server in file transfer mode, while using
"sudo -u root /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server"
at the same time (WinSCP offers an advanced config option to do that - the shell is set to 'sudo -s'). This is a really cool feature, as I can use my text editor to change configs and do not have to use vim or else. And I can browse directories explorer style, which is also nice.

Now that I bought the client package today, I fail to achieve the same goal with SecureCRT&SecureFX - what do I miss?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2019, 02:05 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Curzon Dax,

You can run a sudo command in SecureCRT, but that isn't going to carry over to SecureFX because SecureFX does not use shell/remote execs for file transfer like WinSCP does.

I have added this thread to the following feature requests in our product enhancement database:
  • Add support for su functionality by doing SFTP with shell/remote execs like WinSCP
  • Add ability to use sudo with SCP like WinSCP does
Should a future release of SecureFX include either feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #13924" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730